Thread: 7d ii

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I found that the threshold was crossed somewhere between ISO 800 and ISO 1600 on the 7D. Pretty dependable at ISO 800 and less, but I really tried to limit myself to ISO 400 or less. On the 5DIII, I rarely see issues at ISO 2000 or less. The threshold where noise starts to bug me is somewhere between ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 on the 5DIII, but I've taken shots at ISO 12,800 that are good.

This is why I don't expect the 7DII to meet what I want. Ultimately, it would almost need 1-1.5 stop improvement in high ISO noise and to clean up the low ISO noise.

Rick...that is an interesting question. I am not sure what goes into the "1D" magic. But I firmly believe IQ is more than the summation of the measured technical components. It could be techware or firmware or a combination of the two. But it would be interesting if Canon puts a little of that in the 7DII. We won't know until the reviews and ultimately that may tell us if the 7DII is meant as the successor to the 1DIV. It is an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Rick...that is an interesting question. I am not sure what goes into the "1D" magic. But I firmly believe IQ is more than the summation of the measured technical components. It could be techware or firmware or a combination of the two. But it would be interesting if Canon puts a little of that in the 7DII. We won't know until the reviews and ultimately that may tell us if the 7DII is meant as the successor to the 1DIV. It is an interesting question.
    IIRC, a lot of the 1D magic is the caliber/quality of the analog amplification between the pixel and the A/D converter. I think the 1-series has analog amplification at the full-stop increments, while still using bit math for the one-third-stop increments. Other series might be all digital, or at least of a lesser quality.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.