Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
I opted for a kit made be Freewell on a kick starter campaign. Includes a set of variable ND, fixed ND, as well as, a couple of graduated NDs. Which I used for the NC valley sunrise shots I will post soon.
Hey Mike....are these drop in filters? Or screw in/magnetic. I looked and didn't see where Freewell had drop in filters, but easily could have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
My most-used filters are CPL and 10-stop ND, which I have in 77mm and 82mm. I also have 6- and 3-stop NDs in 77mm. I like that the RF 14-35, RF 24-105 and RF 100-500 all take 77mm filters, it’s a great travel setup. I'd never tried a vND until getting the Canon drop-in adapter, which I use mainly with my TS-E 17/24 and EF 11-24.

The drop-in adapter is very nice, but you also need the clear insert unless you want to swap out for the vanilla adapter when you don't want a filter. There are 3rd party covers, but the drop-in adapter is very slightly longer than the vanilla adapter (to account for the glass thickness) and that means unless there's a filter in there infinity focus is lost (at least, it is with my TS-E 17 – perhaps other lenses focus further out).
So, I actually have 3 filters: CPL, variable ND, and the clear. I haven't seen a 3rd party covers, so I am actually using the clear filter when not using the others. I do have other adapters that I can pivot too, but at the time I bought the R5 only the drop in filter RF-EF adapter was available, so I am putting it to some use.

Having all your lenses be the same filter size would be the other way to decrease what I carry. But, love my EF 24-70 II, which is 82 mm. Most used lens by far. Thus, I have carried both 77 mm (for 100-400 II and 16-35) and 82 mm (for 24-70 II) when traveling.

So, Breakthough finally got me with their ads, and I do have their variable ND coming. I'll do a quick comparison and if better I'll keep it.