Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    I do like my new studio box and having enough flashes to completely eliminate ambient light.
    Bob, would you mind posting another photo of your setup here as it is now for this first shot out of the box?

Denise

Here is another one from today's shooting---I think this my be my best to date---What do you think?

DD---I have some shots of my setup but haven't downloaded them yet, Hopefully, I will get to that tomorrow.

Bob

Bob, great start into a new season

Thanks Ahab.

Denise, here are a few shots of my setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0484.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0497.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0487.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	942
    Bob

Here is another one from today's shooting---I think this my be my best to date---What do you think?

DD---I have some shots of my setup but haven't downloaded them yet, Hopefully, I will get to that tomorrow.
    Love the colors, and it is great to catch them engaged with a colorful flower. What aperture did you use?
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I think you might be right ... the exposure and sharpness on this one is killer! No ghosting whatsoever. I might try to angle the flowers away slightly so the bird will feed angled toward the camera....man you're off to an incredible start with the new set up...congrats on a well thought out and executed plan.

Thanks for posting the set-up once again! Yes, I do believe that your latest hb shot is one of your best! You have most definitely perfected the art of hb photography and it looks like all of your hard work is paying off big time!

Congrats on it all working out so well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I might try to angle the flowers away slightly so the bird will feed angled toward the camera
    Your right Joel. I might try that today. But the challenge is the depth of field. As you could see I was shooting at f9, if I rotate so the bird is facing me more, I will need more depth of field, say around f16 or higher and I am not sure I have enough flash power to get there---But I will definitely give it a try this afternoon. I think I am starting to get a handle on most of the technical aspects of this, Now I have to work on the creative side---Thanks for the suggestion---they are always appreciated.
    Bob

Your right Joel. I might try that today. But the challenge is the depth of field. As you could see I was shooting at f9, if I rotate so the bird is facing me more, I will need more depth of field, say around f16 or higher and I am not sure I have enough flash power to get there---But I will definitely give it a try this afternoon. I think I am starting to get a handle on most of the technical aspects of this, Now I have to work on the creative side---Thanks for the suggestion---they are always appreciated.
    That could be true, but if the head and eye are in focus it will still be dramatic, you could also go for just a side shot with the whole bird parallel to the camera.

I bet you can push the iso enough to get to f/11 or f/13 maybe. So many possibilities....you're gonna have hours and hours of fun (that is, if Norma lets you)

I was impressed that you were able to get the flower and bird DOF just right. Which is where the aperture question came from. Sorry about the inane questions, but here are a couple more: In order to get the bird and flower focal plane parrallel to the camera sensor are you clamping a piece of the flower in your clamp system? And does that work consistently to draw the birds in for you, or are you skunked now and again?

Again, great shots.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr