Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Not specifically "give me a name idea!!!!" but more, any tips people can think of. I already have an idea that I've been stuck with. It's an "A" name, so it'd keep me one of the first people to find.

I thought about just using my name, but so many people do that, that I think it's not the direction I want to go.

Also, I don't want to be TOO generic....like....Quality Photography...haha or anything close to that.

If anyone has any tips, or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

PS: I shoot everything, so I'm not going to just do, say, weddings. I'll do sports, portraits, weddings, family activies, babys....whatever anyone wants, so I can't really make a name match a single type of photography.

Thanks!

Re: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Our studio got called TriDuo this way:

Allen and Ada used to race triathlons and duathlons, I currently race in them. They then started taking photos of the races. Hence TriDuo.

Think of any experiences youve had that could be used in a name.

I play with company names (and logo's) here and there. Much more when I was doing "Production Illustration" in college, but it's always been a little fun aside from that.

One of my first thoughts is that I really wonder if having your business listed first in a group of listings should be given higher priority than a good, uniquie, creative name. I would never pick out a business simply because they were at the top of a generic list. I would look for: Location, Specializations, Years in Business, if they have a Block Ad in addition to a basic listing, etc. But, I often have to stop and remind myself that MUCH of the 'marketing' that goes on doesn't work on me while it does on the general population (and I think that's a sad commentary on the general population).

That aside... I always try to come up with a company name that means something to me, but is catchy to an outsider. A name that will either imply creatvity or is unique enough that people actually ask you (in a curious/good way) where the name came from.

Lastly, if the "top of the list" really is important to you... consdier numbers also.

"An Unforgettable Moment [in] Photography"

"A Timeless Image"

"21 Studios"

or...

"Brides, Balls, & Babies Photographic Studios"

he he he

What got you into photography?

Do you have hobbies that relate closely to it?

What do you like shooting the most and what do you shoot the best?

Do you have close friends or family memebers in on this with you?

Do you have a pet that is or was cherished over all others?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra
    I shoot everything [H]

Well, I like shooting landscape myself, but it's not necessarily my favorite thing to do and I'm not so sure I'm all that good at it yet... []

One of the compliments I've received is that (when I put my mind to it) I tend to compose my shots very well. While I appriciate the compliment unfortuantely that is something that can often be done via simple cropping... I'd almost rather be good at exposure consideration or color balancing... (course those things often can be fixed on a computer these days too, it just takes more time than cropping).

Quote Originally Posted by Cory

What got you into photography?

Do you have hobbies that relate closely to it?

What do you like shooting the most and what do you shoot the best?

Do you have close friends or family memebers in on this with you?

Do you have a pet that is or was cherished over all others?

I don't know what REALLY got me into photography. I have that "one" picture that I took, which after I took made me say "holy s*** look what I just got!!!" That is probably one of the big stepping points. It's a picture at a Red Sox game. With my PowerShot S5 IS I got a bat shattering in half, flying away mid swing. It blew my mind that I got the shot with a PowerShot. Since then I can't wait to take that next shot, ya know?

I have a close friend I'm doing some work with, but separate businesses. No pets, nope.

Sports would be my favorite, but I'm not quite set up for it yet. I love freezing that fraction of time forever. Especially when it's high action, and you see what you would normally never notice.

My idea for a name was "Aperture Photography". I think it sounds cool, but to the person who doesn't know photogrpahy....what does that mean to them? Nothing. The only saving grace, is that I can use that generic aperture "logo" if you will, which I think would convey what it meant, and it's a catchy logo IMO.

The numbers is a good idea, if I can make it relate well.

I also thought of maybe an acronym. A friend suggested A.V.O. photography....he thought it was a good idea. A Visual "big O" photography. haha Now, I admire his idea, but I'm sure grandma wanting pictures of the grandkids isn't going to want to know what that all stands for.

Aperture Photography would be associated with the world famous Aperture Photography Foundation. I think. Also, like you said, a bit generic and obvious.

Why not use your name and turn it into a brand? You can literally make a name for yourself. A lot of good and/or famous photographers are known by their names rather than their studio or company names.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison

Aperture Photography would be associated with the world famous Aperture Photography Foundation. I think. Also, like you said, a bit generic and obvious.

Why not use your name and turn it into a brand? You can literally make a name for yourself. A lot of good and/or famous photographers are known by their names rather than their studio or company names.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who use their names, and it works well. I'm not sure my name has a good flow to it. Osterman Photography. haha I did think initials maybe could work, like J.C. J.C. photography? J.C. images? I dunno.