Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Family Photos

Re: The Family Photos

If you show them all of them someone will want a copy of a bad one and you will spend lots of time correcting it and then they will think you take terrible photos, etc......

Only let them see the good ones. They are your photos to do with what you want.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

My wife and I are cracking up reading this! I can't tell you how many times I have been told, "Don't delete ANYTHING until I see all of your pictures!" I ALWAYS tell her to let me weed out the bads and then you can see but she can be very persistent If she REALLY wants me to keep a shot that I don't approve of I'll often let her have her way but she has proven to be very accepting of my NEED to delete pictures that I don't feel are up to snuff.

Good luck!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Heh, good to read that it's a pretty common thing..

But you know people, I can't trick her with saying that it's all or that the photos "disappeared" because we both are graphic designers, I'm doing the photography, shes doing the digital painting, so, I'm doomed. She even knows how lightroom works!

Anyway, I decided for the sacrifice methode, I'd rather have peace. But still it feels like murder to show family bad photos, I mean, they know I'm a photographer, I've got to hold alteast a bit of a reputation for myself right? Well apparently not in this case..

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    [/b]Daniel Browning]

We're the one stop shop for photography advice and marriage counseling.

Haha, that cracked me up! []

i used to get this problem with past relationships, and now i learn to not tell anyone how many i take and just show them the finished product.

Also, one thing i always throw back if needs be to the gf "well how many photos of you do you tell me to delete cause you dont like how you look" :P

But as other people have said, its the artist in you, look at facebook, how many awful photos get uploaded of holidays or watever!

This is what I did. I explained to my dear wife (read: kept explaining over and over) why those bad pictures are bad, in the beginning very easy then a little more "aggressive"and after probablya few years of being patient it paid off. Sometimes, when we review those family/friend snapshots together, she'll say "this one is blurry, nedds to be deleted" before I even open my mouth. It was a long process though...

She still makes fun of me when I talk photography with my buddies. "How much canone discuss depth of field?" or "Are talking about exposure again?" she'll ask...

Yep, it gets worse. If you look at my Flickr Photostreamyou'll see a bunch of would be culls that my wife made me post. (We even have quite a few she took with her PAS w/flash, YUCK!) It's how the rest of the family views our pics. I'd love to have a separate one for my "good" stuff but I'm too cheap to do it.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9