Page 100 of 558 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Wow, amazing shots everybody, I missed the party!

HDNitehark, what a story of nature!, I was wondering would it better if you should video instead.

congratulations, Brendan, the"post your best bird shot" thread is getting closer to the 1000 posts , we have not seen you for a while, maybe you will post the 1000th post?

here is my recent shot just to celebrate the coming 1000th post

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8284.IMG_5F00_1177.jpg[/img]

thanks for viewing!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0535.Pelican-1.jpg[/img]

Took this last weekend. Canon 40D, 70-200mm (@200mm), f4, 1/2500s. Not my best bird shot ever, but for some reason I was drawn to the colors produced. Very ominous; like jaws is going to come out of the water and eat this pelican.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

How about your worst bird shot?

Well, It's the story that really matters. Some of you may remember that some time ago I posted a question about how to achieve focus in pitch black conditions---I realized that you could infact do this at least with a 580EXII and a 7d. With flash mounted and tunred on you can hit the Depth of field preview button and the modeling flash (Series of rapid fires) will engage and if your quick enough on the focus button, you can actually achieve focus during this cycle. Now, an experienced photographer would probably ask---"why would you want to" of course I failed to really think about the "why" and was obsessed with the "how". Well, I went out before dawn this weekend (as many wildlife photographers do" in an attempt to to get set up and ready for first light. I got to my blind early, got set up and had some time to play. So I knew my birds were out on the water based on the "morning chatter" that sandhills are known for. Though some light was starting to creep up over the mountains, it was still too dark to see anything so I decided to put my "focus in the dark" method to practical use. I pointed the camera in the general direction of the chatter, did my new found focus trick, then fired off a few shots. Now, keep in mind, these birds were about 75-100 yards away and you could not see them with the naked eye. Here is the result after pushing the exposure to about 75%, maxing out the noise reduction and significant cropping----What you end up with is:

<span style="font-size: medium;"]GHOST BIRDS:

<span style="font-size: medium;"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5516.ghost-birds.jpg[/img]

It neverdawned on me that shooting wildlife in the dark with a flash would result in the infamous "red eye" or for cranes--"white eye"----

Note to self: Don't try and out think the Canon Engineers, there is probably a reason why they didn't offer the feature in the first place.

I often find, that I learn more from my failures than I do from my succeses.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

This is a group of Terns from my Florida trip in September

1D MKIII + 500mm f/4L + 1.4 TC

manual mode, evaluative metering, center AF point, AI servo mode

1/1250 f/5.6 iso 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5657.343V2065.jpg[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sorry to hark back a few posts so I quoted the pic for relevance. I don't shoot birds I do shoot children (man that sounds bad)and I notice you say this is centre AF point in AI Servo- but there's nothing in the centre! Is this a crop and did you focus on the bird in the air? I'm curious as I often get poor framing as a result of using centre point AI Servo. Do you accept the framing to use the centre point then crop to achieve the desired result?

I figure BIF are similar to capture compared to children at martial arts. Always in motion and unpredictable. Thanks for any AF tips. For relevancy I'm using a 1D mkIIn.

Paul.

Paul,

The image is cropped but beyond that, what I was doing is focusing with center point and then holding focus lock with my right thumb while recomposing the image in the camera then firing the shutter. In this case I focused on one of the group and the bird flight came in at just the right time, I wasn

JJ,

Nice pose, nice capture and spot-on exposure.

Rich

Bob,

Very interesting and creative stuff there. It looks like it could be the cover for a Stephen King Novel.

Rich

dsiegel,

Nice composition of the Pelican. I also like the calm, deep-blue look of the water too. However, it also appears that the birds white balance may slightly towards the blue or cool side. This may be due to the reflection off the water or the slight blue tint on a CPL filter.

Rich

Rich,

Yeah, that was caused by intense sun reflection. I
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I