Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wow great series Brant! SEOs are so fun to photograph and I'd love to do that with the R5.
    Questions:
    - I assume you're loving the 200-800. Focal length is probably ideal for this sort of fun. Any performance comments? You're obviously getting a high keep rate with it.
    - How on earth did you get the Tern perfectly exposed with that black background? I checked your exif on Flickr and it shows zero exposure compensation. Did you just go full manual?
    Thanks for sharing those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Wow great series Brant! SEOs are so fun to photograph and I'd love to do that with the R5.
    Thanks Jonathan! I had never really picked up on the fact that Shortys are such photogenic birds.

Questions:
    - I assume you're loving the 200-800. Focal length is probably ideal for this sort of fun. Any performance comments? You're obviously getting a high keep rate with it.
    I am loving it. But I do really wish Canon had done just a bit more and charged twice the price. It is a great lens and the real key to me is that it natively does what no other lens out there can do. I do want to note that I have come away very impressed with the RF 100-500 w and without the 1.4tc. The issue with adding the TC is that you cannot zoom out all the way, the extender only fits into the lens at ~300 mm. So, with 1.4x TC, it essentially becomes a 420-700 mm lens, which is very useful, but I got it on loan to test out and often zoomed back into the TC. Plus, one of my primary uses for this lens will be in the kayak, and I do not want to be messing about with a TC while in a kayak.

So, that aside, it is a very good lens. With enough light, the AF is good to very good. As you start dropping in light, even dense clouds, the AF takes a hit. In a side by side test, my 500 II was 100% hit rate...the 200-800 was ~68%. That day was a bit dim (toward end of day), so I do want to mention there have been several times with good light where the hit rate was near 100%.

So very usable for casual shooting, but you do need to be aware of the limitation with light.

I like the size and weight. It handles very nicely. I wish you could remove the foot, but ok. The zoom ring is a bit stiff with a long throw, but I am learning to make it work.

All that said, in terms of IQ out around 800mm and beyond, only my 500 II w/1.4TC is better. The zoom range is great. It takes a 1.4xTC pretty well. The lens is sharpest at less than 700 mm, it is just at the shorter focal lengths, other lenses are also very good, but the 200-800 is right there with them in terms of IQ.

As for the extended reach, what I am finding is reaching out great distances you are still limited by other factors such as heat haze, etc. But getting more focal length for small birds at <15m and large birds at <100 m, it really does add something that I didn't have before.

- How on earth did you get the Tern perfectly exposed with that black background? I checked your exif on Flickr and it shows zero exposure compensation. Did you just go full manual?
    Thanks for sharing those.
    Thanks...I would say that is a combination of two things: 1) With white birds in sun, yes, I usually do switch to full manual and I try to dial it in so the white is properly exposed. A bit of a lesson after years of blowing out the chest of Common Loons. I do sometimes use manual with auto ISO and spot metering, but looking at the images before and after, they are all the same, so I think I was full manual; and 2) I spent a good amount of time with that one in LR. Some blacks may have been crushed in making of that image.