Thread: 40D focusing issue (REVIVAL)

40D focusing issue (REVIVAL)

Guys, I know that this subject has been there for quite sometime now. I just called the Canon Service Center regarding this issue. The technicians asked which kind of lenses was I shooting it with. I told them that I shoot with an EF-S kit lens, a couple of EF lenses, a couple of EF "L" lenses, & have access to all "L" lenses. To sum it all up, I said I shoot mostly with "L" lenses!And was really shocked when they told me that the AF capability of the 40D is fully optimized ONLY for EF-S & EF lenses & NOT for "L" lenses! So, I panicked! My 70-200 2.8 L is tack sharp while my 24-70 2.8 L misfocuses at times eventhough the date code is UX...which is a 2009 production. I was adviced to bring the camera body so they can RE-PROGRAM the body to perform accurately with the "L" series lenses.

Is there any truth to this one? Should I send my 24-70 also for re-calibration? Please advice.

PS:

My 40D is with the current 1.1.1 firmware.

Re: 40D focusing issue (REVIVAL)

"L" lenses are "EF" lenses (just a high-end subset of them). What's likely happening is that one or more of your particular lens/body combinations needs calibration. Read the article, 'This lens is soft' and other myths.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    L" lenses are "EF" lenses (just a high-end subset of them). What's likely happening is that one or more of your particular lens/body combinations needs calibration. Read the article, 'This lens is soft' and other myths.

Thanks for the link!

yep, that's almost certainly what's going on. Unfortunately the 40D doesn't have the micro-adjustment feature so we're kind of stuck; calibrate your most-used lens and take your chances with the rest of your kit, or compensate using MF. Obviously it'll depend on how bad your images are.

My 40D/50 1.4 combo is the only one that has an issue so I generally MF with this lens. As you'd expect it's not my first choice for action shots! But with practice I've gotten pretty good, pretty fast getting a sharp image.

I know many folks swear by the AF-S screen as a replacement for the original focusing screen in the 40D. My experience with it was a disappointment; in fact I notice no difference at all. Honestly I think somebody slipped the wrong screen in the box.

Anyway, if it comes to MF for you, give the AF-S screen a try. Most of the reviews of it are positive. It's only about $40 and if you buy it from B&H you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't perform the way you expect.

Best of luck!