Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How gutsy are you?

Re: How gutsy are you?

Funny no one has talked about this before

I guess I always assumed it was a non-factor for everyone but me, but I sure am camera shy (on either end of the camera, actually).

I feel a little funny pulling over, but I'll do it if I'm taking a shot of something public (not a person or someone's house), and only if I can do so safely.

In Taiwan, I overcame my shyness a bit and took a few candid shots of locals, but in Taiwan everyone knows on sight that I'm a goofy tourist anyway.

Other than that, I tend to be quite intimidated taking pictures in public, especially of people.

I know exactly what you mean. There are tons of picsI could get if I had more nerve. I always feel like a goob. IfI pull my gear out around people they act/talk like I must be a pro and itmakes feel likea goofy wanabe.

One Sunday probably about 6am I stopped to get some pics of a local church, it's over 100 years old,quiet ancient for Mississippi. Got some good one but on my way out of the parking lot the preacher was pulling in asking me all kinds of questions and inviting me to attend church. I haven't done anything like it since.

I'm not usually timid but I'm very suspicious of other people and I just assume they would be the same way about me.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Damian S.
    As for the horses, I would just hop out, set up and start shooting. If the look like they have a problem with it, talk to them.

You forgot to add the part about having the horses sign model releases... [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ha ha ha. You know when there's a disconnect with the brain the keyboard???? Good catch guys! Love those misplaced pronouns.

Denise,

I'm uncomfortable sometimes too, I think we all are but Mr Setters is absolutely right: gotta put fear aside and go for it and I think the owners would appreciate very much being asked. Its respect, right?

Anyone camera shy while shooting lets say a Wedding?? or an event where people look at you and you are in the open??? i sometimes feel this. or bringing my camera along wherever i go, my family makes fun of me lol

Quote Originally Posted by mpphoto12
    i sometimes feel this. or bringing my camera along wherever i go, my family makes fun of me lol
    lol...My family laughs at me too!

Wow, I am so glad I posted this! I am not alone in loving what I do but feeling like a total dork sometimes doing it! [:P]
    Thanks for all of your responses! [:P]
    After reading this I ALMOST knocked on the horse owners door tonight ...oh well, it's the thought that counts, maybe tomorrow! []

Yes, it is about respect and Sean you are right ...I'm going to just face this insecurity head on and find the confidence to just do it!

Thanks all,

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811
    One Sunday probably about 6am I stopped to get some pics of a local church, it's over 100 years old,quiet ancient for Mississippi. Got some good one but on my way out of the parking lot the preacher was pulling in asking me all kinds of questions and inviting me to attend church. I haven't done anything like it since.

I actually set up for a self-portrait in a church parking lot (the church was perched on a hilltop and I wanted a creamy bokeh for the background). I was using my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 50D, and a tripod set on self timer. About 10 minutes after setting up, a truck pulls into the parking lot.

"What are you doing?" asked the "big boned" girl.

"I'm just taking a self-portrait...would you like me to leave?" [At this point I thought this person was associated with the church and didn't appreciate me trespassing]

"Oh...well, I was just out there mowing my lawn and I thought you were taking pictures of me. Were you?"

To be honest, I didn't even notice her because, as I would find out later in the conversation, her home was between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile away. She must have had really good eyesight if she could tell I was taking a picture from that distance. By the end of the conversation, she believed I was sincere in my attempt to take a self-portrait and decided not to call her "sheriff friends" on me. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

"Oh...well, I was just out there mowing my lawn and I thought you were taking pictures of me. Were you?"

To be honest, I didn't even notice her because, as I would find out later in the conversation, her home was between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile away. She must have had really good eyesight if she could tell I was taking a picture from that distance. By the end of the conversation, she believed I was sincere in my attempt to take a self-portrait and decided not to call her "sheriff friends" on me. :-)

I may be the neighborhood creeper but sounds like your getting the rep of being the town creeper![] Too funny!!

Don't worry Sean, if you end up in the slammer some day, everyone here will take up a collection to bail you out of the slammer!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I may be the neighborhood creeper but sounds like your getting the rep of being the town creeper![img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] Too funny!!

Don't worry Sean, if you end up in the slammer some day, everyone here will take up a collection to bail you out of the slammer!!

Denise

That's certainly nice to know... :-)

I should just plead the 5th right now and refuse to answer this question...

I'm the person who stops, jumps into the bed of the truck and ignores the small hail, because I see a really great storm picture setting up in front of me.

I was so excited to get tornado pictures one time that I jumped into the back of my truck with the camera and tripod and then realized it was still in gear and slowing idling down the highway.

...and if you don't get stopped twice a week by some well meaning security guard, your really not pushing the limits! [:|]

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

I was so excited to get tornado pictures one time that I jumped into the back of my truck with the camera and tripod and then realized it was still in gear and slowing idling down the highway.

WOW! Ok, you definitely win the gutsiest of us all award!!
    I hope you, your gear and your truck were ok after this ordeal!

Remind me NEVER to drive in front of you when in Dallas! [:P]

Denise