Thread: 24-70 2.8L Zoom ring stiffness

24-70 2.8L Zoom ring stiffness

Just got my 24-70 2.8L this past week and used it for a wedding this weekend.

I gotta say, this is a great lens and I understand why its so popular. Fast and sharp. Everything an L should be.

The one thing about the lens that bothers me, and I'm curious if it is unique to my lens or if it is normal for this model. The action on the zoom ring is very stiff. It is not a smooth easy motion as I'm used ot with other lenses like the 16-35 2.8L. There is much more resistance in the motion.

Does anyone have any input?

Re: 24-70 2.8L Zoom ring stiffness

My 24-70 has a little more resistance than my 16-35. I think it is expected when you consider how much glass you are moving over a further distance. The 24-70 extends about 1 1/4" where the 16-35 has less glass and at the most extends a 1/4" give or take.

Mine has the same thing and I have seen this talked about on several boards and believe it is something that comes along with this lens for the reasons Keith has mentioned.

Use it more [:P]

I'll make sure to take your advice Colin!! []

hi! just want to ask how do you find the lens? does it really produce sharp images? i have a 24-105 and thinking of getting this one orthe70-200 f4 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

Use it more [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'll second that. I've rented this lens several times, and usually it's been smooth as silk. I'm renting one this weekend from LensRentals.com, and it appears the one they sent me was purchased this month (i.e. it's two weeks old). It's stiff compared to the others I've had.

Twist the ring, and push the little round button!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Mine is brand new and does stiffen up slightly then turning the zoom ring when close to 24mm. Seems to be a normal thing so I wouldn't stress about it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30