Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Fabulous awesome wonderful shot!!! Needs a little room around it....print it and hang it on the wall
    Thanks Joel, but this is funny and clearly shows that different folks have different opinions----I was actually really dissapointed with this and other shots I took this weekend--but I posted it because thats all I had to show for the effort. On that "other website", I got blasted for my last shot because the background was too loud and distracting and that shot is probably the one shot I am really proud of. I and a few others actually liked the loud, vivid colors----You just never know what people are going to like or dislike.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    We had our first hummingbird come to the feeder last night.

Dave
    Cool isn't it Dave, Where's the shot? Really, Its funny how the little things get people excited.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Yesterday, I saw orioles in my backyard so I was sitting in the backyard!
    While I was shooting hummingbirds yesterday, I saw two (Male and Female) Bullock's Orioles hit my feeders---I had never seen one of these before and had to break out the book to see what they were---Of course I was set up for Hummers---But if I see them again, I will be parked in my backyard until I get the shot. It's great when you see something new.

So, Denise, Get the feeder out, if he is in the neighborhood, he will probably return----

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Thanks Joel, but this is funny and clearly shows that different folks have different opinions----I was actually really dissapointed with this and other shots I took this weekend--but I posted it because thats all I had to show for the effort. On that "other website", I got blasted for my last shot because the background was too loud and distracting and that shot is probably the one shot I am really proud of. I and a few others actually liked the loud, vivid colors----You just never know what people are going to like or dislike.

Bob
    You're absolutely right .... I've had similar results with critiques on other forums, especially with regards to cropping and sharpness.

What makes a great image is so much "in the eye of the beholder"

This image, to me, is one of your best because it is very sharp, perfectly exposed and the flower looks natural and not "over flashed" if you know what I mean. The colorful BG on the previous one wasn't a big problem for me but I like this one better.

Despite some weird criticism (on that "other site") I am still posting and trying to learn as much as possible

Actually, I had planned to do this exact thing this weekend, but the birds just weren't hitting very often---It was basically all I could do to get them to hit the feeder, much less a "loaded flower"----Which is also a problem with this idea---with a downward pointing flower, the sugar water runs out which means I may get one or two shots and they lose interest---But I am going to try it anyway in hopes of getting a different perspective and maybe lighting the gorget.

But I did have another engineering brain storm you may like. I am thinking about getting a small used IV bag (250ml) and microdrip setup. cut the tubeing to desired length and attach a small guage needle to the end. Then I can just slide the downword pointing flower on to the needle and maybe clamp the flower on it with a small alligator clip---this should allow me to keep the sugar running at a slow but adjustable rate. It would also work with an up pointing flower.

So, Have I lost my mind????????????

Wait, I'm not done, thanks to you Joel, I had another epiphony. I was frustrated with the difficult operation and unsightliness of my PVC contraption seen below:

So I started thinking of a replacement---and came up with this (thanks to Joel and his many other talents):

A simple microphone stand. Heavy base, 30-60 inch telescoping, 19 inch flexible gooseneck with a clamp attached to the end of the gooseneck---Total cost---$21.00 New. You could probably find a used one at a music store or pawn shop for $10 bucks. This is only a couple of dollars more than what I had invested in the PVC contraption----Lesson learned---If it doesn't have "Photography" attached to the name or nomenclature, it's 1/3 the cost.

Anyway this microphone stand allows me to hang a feeder or hold a flower in almost any position. The heighth is adjustable and it doesn't blow over when the wind does. Finally, it doesn't look tacky and my wife is more accepting of it sitting on the back porch and I don't even need her Christmas tree stand.

Happy Humming,

Bob
    Love it !!! ( I still need to send you some CD's )

Some of the other sites are filled with "experts" who never post any photos, but love to rip apart everyone elses.

...On that "other website", I got blasted for my last shot because the background was too loud and distracting and that shot is probably the one shot I am really proud of. I and a few others actually liked the loud, vivid colors----You just never know what people are going to like or dislike.

Bob
    I have always enjoyed your colorful backgrounds. In fact, the one you posted back on 4/20/2012 (Post #232) was probably my favorite. Don't let the haters rule. Keep 'em coming as far as I am concerned.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

You're absolutely right .... I've had similar results with critiques on other forums, especially with regards to cropping and sharpness.

What makes a great image is so much "in the eye of the beholder"

This image, to me, is one of your best because it is very sharp, perfectly exposed and the flower looks natural and not "over flashed" if you know what I mean. The colorful BG on the previous one wasn't a big problem for me but I like this one better.

Despite some weird criticism (on that "other site") I am still posting and trying to learn as much as possible
    Actually, I generally find thier criticism and comments very useful "and accurate" but I get the impression that there are so many notable photographers that teach and coach the perfect shot--that most of the "perfect shots" look the same; then, the newby sees this and that is how they begin to judge thier own work and when they get good, they critique thier work and the work of others the same way----So now, all of the perfect shots look the same.

Love it !!! ( I still need to send you some CD's )
    I'm Waiting Patiently

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Some of the other sites are filled with "experts" who never post any photos, but love to rip apart everyone elses.
    Yeah, I have seen those guys too---But I don't visit those sites anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I have always enjoyed your colorful backgrounds. In fact, the one you posted back on 4/20/2012 (Post #232) was probably my favorite. Don't let the haters rule. Keep 'em coming as far as I am concerned.
    Thanks Pat---And I will. But I still have to listen to the other guys and gleen what I can from them----Then I'll throw in a little color just for spite.
    Bob

I was cruising through the flicker strobist group the other day and ran across a hummer shot that was stunning. After detailed look, I realized that the specular highlights in the feathers just glistened---Not the gorget or other irridescent feathers---just the regular wing and body feathers---they litterally shined and sparkeled. After reading the guys method and setup, he used a silver umbrella to achieve this effect---WHich made perfect sense to me after Seans recent post talking about what he doesn't like about silver umbrellas (for people).

So, Something new to try and talk about.

Bob
    Bob

I was cruising through the flicker strobist group the other day and ran across a hummer shot that was stunning. After detailed look, I realized that the specular highlights in the feathers just glistened---Not the gorget or other irridescent feathers---just the regular wing and body feathers---they litterally shined and sparkeled. After reading the guys method and setup, he used a silver umbrella to achieve this effect---WHich made perfect sense to me after Seans recent post talking about what he doesn't like about silver umbrellas (for people).

So, Something new to try and talk about.

Bob
    Cool idea ... they make gold ones too ... maybe you could get one with interchangeable linings?

A small umbrella isn't too expensive either....I'll be expecting some shots this Saturday