Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Capturing Hummers

Starteda new thread on this subject because I have recently discovered that shooting humming birds has its own unique set of challenges. There has been some good advice from some of the more avid bird shooters, but for the life of me I couldn't find it.

Here are some shots I took this weekend and will discuss at the bottom:

The environment: Bright daylight, early morning, sun only about 20 degrees high and rightoff of my angle of view

The general settings for these were: 7d, 100-400 L @ 400, onboard flash and 580 exII off camera flash. All set to manual, including manual focus. Tripod. Flashes were set to 1/32 or 1/64---still not fast enough as you can see ghosting. Shutter @ 250, ISO 1600 and aperture at either F22 or F32 (This got me a whopping 1/2 inch dof on my @400mm---not much working room.)

The challenges:

1. I wanted to light the colors of the bird----Off camera flash works much better at this than does on camera or onboard flash.

2. I also wanted wings with detail, but not frozen

3. I am still having problems with ghosting since I only have one flash---I think I ll try setting the flash at 1/128 next time and just deal with the black background.

4. I used the small apertures to try and increase the DOF---This helps, but not enough in manual focus mode. I 'll try auto focus this PM. The images just aren't sharp enough.

5. I used High ISO to get the rest to work.

Problems with the photo's---Soft and ghosting still a problem. I'll keep working until I find a good combo. Also, on #3, I did a terrible job at trying to clone out the ghosting---I plan to re-work that one.

So,all please feel free to comment and add suggestions----I think I am on the right track, I just need to fine tune the process. What do you think---Honestly?

Bob

Bob

Re: Capturing Hummers

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/Hummers_5F00_042-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/Hummers-061-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/Hummers_5F00_056-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

Bob,

Nice shots. Here are a few of mine. My set up is a little different than yours. Tripod, remote shutter release, continuous shooting mode, no flash, pre-focus near flower or feeder, 1/250-1/500/sec, f/4-8, iso 100-400, fl=280-420, early morning light from side. Wait for Hummer to enter zone, sitting 20 feet away with wired shutter release, and fire away. I tend to not want to freeze the wings because that is not how we view them in nature. Personal choice.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/Hummers2_5F00_058-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

Bob I'm sorry to say this, but I do absolutely love Tom's photos without a flash! Wow!

Not that yours are bad or something. I do like the fact that you keep the background from completely black and you keep some moving natural detail.

But personally I prefer the non-flashed photos. And ISO-100-400 vs ISO 1600...I would know what I had to try out [:O]

Great shots,

Jan

Edit: Bob did you use second curtain flash? If not..could that make a difference in ghosting?

Bob....good thought to start this link and you have some nice shots, but I have to say I prefer natural light capturing my HBs.

I use a similar technique to Tom's, but I'll slow the shutter speed down, sometimes as low as 1/80th to maximize wing ghosting in a back lit situation, i.e. shooting into the setting sun.

I've been trying to capture mine at the bubblerand I finally had some success this morning. Though I have to admit to multi-tasking...I was on the phone w/my sister when this f Ruby throated showed up.I was unable to use the correct technique for shooting w/a tripod which contributed to the softness....I just pressed the cable released and shot away.

7D, 100-400 at 400, tripod w/cable release, f5.6, ISO 500, 1/125 about 30'

Now lets wait for Joel to weigh in.....whoops, a little late w/this comment. []

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Bob....good thought to start this link and you have some nice shots, but I have to say I prefer natural light capturing my HBs.

Well, Afew of reasons I am trying to get the flash technique down.

1st--To get the bright <span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Iridescent colors to light up.According to most of my reading,off camera flash (usually multiple flashes)is the only consistant way to achieve this.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]2nd, I like the natural look of blurred wings, but I also like to see some detail in the wings, not complete blurs or ghosted images. To me, the ghosting often makes it look like the bird has four wings

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]3rd, My bird feeder is under a shaded porch or early in the morning it has a strong backlight from the rising sun---Either way, I need some sort of light unless I move my equipment in to the yard and then I get the house as a background..

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Finally, Don't get me wrong, You and others that use existing light are getting some great shots--I really like them. But for me, its as much about understanding the technical challenge offlash technique as it is about getting the shot.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Here are a couple of more shots I took yesterday: Although I didn't achieve my goals, I am getting closer--On these shots the wings are almost frozen, thanks to 1/4000 shutter speed and attached flash on HSS at about 1/16th power. Actually the wings are a little too frozen, even for my taste and I didn't get the color pop that I do with the off camera flash, but, again, I am starting to understand more. This afternoon, I will slow the shutter to 1/2000 with same set up and see if I can get the wing effect I am looking for.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]This shot is very soft, but I did like the comical pose the bird offered:

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]

Here are a couple more:

Bob

Hey Bob,

I hope I didn't come out too strong. I like your shots and I get your point of shooting with flashes.

I'm not sure how far away your flash needs to be, but wired ETTL cables aren't that expensive at all and they allow you to use wired of-camera flash with ETTL and HSS.

I like your 3rd shot of the latest set. While the background suffers from some noise(which is fixable) the bird has nice details and colors.

Anyway good thread since I often see pictures of hummingbirds passing by. Perhaps you can call your thread: "Masterclass shooting hummers" []

Good luck with trying your techniques!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I hope I didn't come out too strong.

Not too strong at all, Jan--Infact, I liked your comments ---Learning aboutvarying techniques and tastes helps me a great deal in what I am trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I'm not sure how far away your flash needs to be, but wired ETTL cables aren't that expensive at all and they allow you to use wired of-camera flash with ETTL and HSS.

Actually, I have been looking for a reason to buy a set of pocket wizards--I understand that they can communicate ETTL and HSS information----As far as a tether, Imay give that a try in the interim.

I will fix the noise issue today.

Thanks
    Bob

Bob....like Jan I hope I didn't come across too harsh....if so, mea culpa.

Iridescence;yeah I hear you here. My garden is set upso I shoot from the East side in the morning which gives me the lighting I need to light up the m RTHB's gorget. That is, when the male shows up....I have more females and they chase the male(s) as soon as he appears. So my photo ops of a male are limited.

I applaud you for expanding your photography techniques Bob....I just haven't been motivated to shoot the HBs w/a flash since blowing out their eyes w/my 580.

BTW....I enjoy their comical positions also...thanks for posting yours.

Second BTW Bob....headedto ABQ Labor Day wkend for a week's visit w/my cousin. He's a Nikonian, but he's alright, plus he has a great back yard for the local HBs.

Keep posting your attempts....

Regards

Bill

Just wondering did anybody catch Nature's Magic in Air (repeat) on your local PBS station?

If not, you should; superb video shots and commentary on a large variety of HBs.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/introduction/5424/

Bill,

Love the splash. Whatever technigue is used, at the end of the day if its a great shot the shoot was a success.

Tom