Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique Please Mammoth Hot Springs

Critique Please Mammoth Hot Springs

I took this picture at Mammoth Hot Springs on a trip to Yellowstone this summer. It was shot with a 5D Mark II, 24mm 1.4L II, F8.0, 1/800 ISO 100. I had to lay on the boardwalk and supported the camera on the railing to get a low perspective. The only post I did on it is corp a little off the side to cut out the board walk to the left side of the picture, sharp +1 and changed the standard format to landscape.

Any thing I can do to improve this or have changed during the shot, please tell me.

Thanks

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/MammothHotSrpings2.jpg[/img]

Re: Critique Please Mammoth Hot Springs

Before I say this, let me put it into perspective--I'm a portrait man (it's what I love, it's what I do). But when I saw this shot, I literally said to myself, "Wow, I like that."

Well done indeed.

I like it too, however it hurts my brain a little as the horizon seems to be at an angle. It might just be compounded by the lean on the tree in the right of frame. Looks like a great spot.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Was making my brain hurt too...

That's better. I love the colors. Other than the tilt, I'm not seeing anything that jumps out as being wrong with your technique. I'd hang that on my wall.
    - Trowski

The level horizon is a big improvement--with that I think this shot is very good. Just for fun, this shot would be great for trying a little pseudo HDR in photomatix. If you don't have Photomatix, you can get a trial download here : www.hdrsoft.com/download.html

Nice Shot,

Bob
    Bob

I must say I disagree with my comrades--I like the framing just the way it is. It seems artistically (& perfectly) unlevel to me--it interjects a level of interest and captivates me. Oh well, to each his own!

Awesome pictures. Would love to have been there - thanks for sharing!

I love this shot, it's beautiful. I like the oiginal one better, as it looks more abstract. I think the tilt works in this case, because it's hard to tell exactly what the proper horizon in relation to the Mountain Range and Clouds, futhermore, the white sulfa? appears to be cascading down the plateau, so I think it totally works.

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I like it too, however it hurts my brain a little as the horizon seems to be at an angle. It might just be compounded by the lean on the tree in the right of frame. Looks like a great spot.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was debating the tilt wheter it was correct and as the actual ground lies. The actual ground does drop left to right. As the boiling springs come up and over time thismake this structures by depositing minerals. The flat area shown on the left should have a slight drop to the right. The only thing I could find to coordinate the picture with to see if it was accurate are two people standing in the far upper corner and the clouds. From what I can tell from other frames I capturedand can rember, I think the orientation of the picture is correct to what is actually there.

Again thanks for the comments

Rick

I really like this picture, it is both dramatic and peaceful at the same time. I liked the straighten version best, but I am very sensitive to horizons leaning on way or another. I don't want to project my opinions onto others. If I have to pick on one thing, it is the log at the left. I would like to have the whole log in the picture. Now, it is leading my eye out from the picture, and I am a bit curious on what I might find at the end of the log. I know that the location might make it impossible to include the whole log, but you asked for opinions []. Agree that some HDR could increase the dramatic aspects of the picture, but be careful to not overdo it. But all in all, this shot is something I would be proud to have in my portfolio.

Lars