Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo!!! I sold my first photo :-) Advice Please!

Re: Woohoo!!! I sold my first photo :-) Advice Please!

BIG thank you to everyone I will look over all suggestions this weekend! These are going to be a tremendous help in deciding what to do because I am absolutely clueless when it comes to selling it.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Denise

Awesome! I can see why!! Great image!

Congrats Denise. It
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I use Lustre. I also like matte. Make sure you also have it mounted on an artboard or foam board.

If I go with AdoramaPix, for this type of photo, do you think lustre or metallic would look best? They recommend metallic for landscapes & scenic photos but with this having limited colors, I'm not sure.

Also, are all of these frameable ...<span jquery1287364309061="28" id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Single Weight Matboard,<label sizset="8" sizcache="1"] <span id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Foam-Core, </label><label sizset="9" sizcache="1"]<span id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Styrene??

Thank you for your help!

Denise</label>

Denise

I took the liberty of printing your pic off on my pixma pro 9500 with a few papers.(I promise I wont sell them).Using Fine Art Photo Rag and Glossy II.

My opinion is a glossy picture is more what you want for this one. The photo rag is a matte finish and it seemed to take away from the bird in front of the sun. Where the gloss made it shine and made it pop a little bit. I think the lustre would be similar to the photo rag as both are to the matte side and might not be good here.

I think the metallic would be better to bring out the blacks in the birds out of the sun....needs to keep the shine on the bird in front of the sun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

Have Mpix do the printing. Their Metallic paper is incredible and there pricing is hard to beat. They know high quality printing for sure plus they will ship directly to your customer.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I have both the pixma 9000 and 9500. Once I learned to print with the 9500 I have never gotten the same quality from a lab.

<div>All I can say is that I agree with both of these approaches. There's many more photo-print fulfillment companies on the net, but Mpix are one of the best. However, nothing beats the gallery quality and the full control you get with your own printing (assuming that you have a top quality photo-printer, like Canon or Epson semi-pro line and that you know what you are doing). In such case, you can charge practically as high as the customer is able and willing to pay. For occasional printing, though, I would go with one of the on-line services.</div>
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Also, are all of these frameable ...<span id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Single Weight Matboard, <span id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Foam-Core, <span id="weightCaption" style="color: inherit;"]Styrene??

Thank you for your help!

Denise
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have never used AdoramaPix. My lab uses double or triple weight art board or faomboard. I am sure different labs use different names for the same thing. The art board tends to warp a little and we end up putting a foamboard behind it. We prefer using the 3/16" foamboard. This can be directly mounted in a frame. We usually deliver the prints mounted on the foamboard and let our customers frame them.

I have never used metallic but have seen it. I thought it lends itself to commercial work best. It would be interesting to see but I think I would try a small inexpensive print first to see how I like it.

Hope this helps

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Also, are all of these frameable ...<span id="weightCaption"]Single Weight Matboard, <span id="weightCaption"]Foam-Core, <span id="weightCaption"]Styrene??

Thank you for your help!

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I have never used AdoramaPix. My lab uses double or triple weight art board or faomboard. I am sure different labs use different names for the same thing. The art board tends to warp a little and we end up putting a foamboard behind it. We prefer using the 3/16" foamboard. This can be directly mounted in a frame. We usually deliver the prints mounted on the foamboard and let our customers frame them.

I have never used metallic but have seen it. I thought it lends itself to commercial work best. It would be interesting to see but I think I would try a small inexpensive print first to see how I like it.

Hope this helps

Mark

Yes, this helps alot! Thank you!! I would go with Lustre &amp; foamboard.
    Only problem now is @ AdoramaPix, the only size I can do for this photo is 11x17. Otherwise, they chop off part of the photo or there is white space at top &amp; bottom. This is bigger than he wanted to go so I don't know now if the sale will still fly! []

Denise

Only problem now is @ AdoramaPix, the only size I can do for this photo is 11x17. Otherwise, they chop off part of the photo or there is white space at top &amp; bottom. This is bigger than he wanted to go so I don't know now if the sale will still fly! [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

Denise

Wow, I am use to a photo lab that can do any print size I want. If you are interested, here is the lab I use:

http://www.fullcolor.com/

Mark
    Mark

Only problem now is @ AdoramaPix, the only size I can do for this photo is 11x17. Otherwise, they chop off part of the photo or there is white space at top &amp; bottom.

Hi Denise - looking at the AdoramaPix price list, they can do any size print as a foam-core mount.

Do you mean finding a size that works for the image, without eliminating a goose or worse, cutting off part of a wing? Try the various options yourself by constraining the crop function to a specific ratio in Photoshop, for example. A 2x3 ratio (6x9, 8x12,10x15 print, 11x17 is close but not exact) would maintain the original aspect ratio of the image. I tried some quick crops, and it looks like a 3x4 ratio (9x12 print) would work as well (barely including the wingtips of the geese on the sides), and a 10x13 works too (even tighter, wingtips touching the edge). You do run into the issue of those being non-standard frame sizes (hard to find at Target), but unless you're providing a framed print, that's not your problem, per se (that's why there are custom framing shops). If you are providing a framed print, AdoramaPix has a custom framing service, too (for example, if you have a 12x8 image, the selection tool gives you an 18x14 frame with a 16x12 mat cut for your 12x8 print).

Hope that helps...and congrats again - it's a beautiful picture!

--John