Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
<div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

@HDNitehawk: I guess I mis-spoke. I can see spending $5600 on a MacPro, I was just confused at how his friend could have spent so much and had an inferior system to the one Thomas built. If you buy the RAM, hard drives, and monitor from Apple, that definitely adds to the cost.

On another note, my MacPro is now over 4 years old (bought in Sept 2006) and still going strong. It's a dual-processor dual-core 2.66GHz Xeon. I upgraded it to 8GB of RAM, with 500GB, 2x 1TB, and 2TB hard drives. You would still have to spend quite a bit of money to match its performance.
</div>

Where apple gets you, with your Mac Pro is the cost of upgrading the older machine gets real expensive. But I have been extremly impressed with mine.

Also...I have a 4 year old Dell with a really fast processor. It was custom speced and ordered from Dell and cost about $2200 four years ago. I have had to wipe windows off three diffrent times because of bugs and problems. Its been worked on occasionaly. Replaced the video card when it went out....and maybe added some RAM to get it up to 4 gb or so. Want to trade for your Mac Pro [:P]