Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
Not too very long ago I had bought my first external hard drive (a Maxtor something or other) and stored a ton of photos on there and deleted them from my hard drive. Within a very short time, the external hard drive stopped working and I could not retrieve any of my photos. After many tears shed, I went and bought two more (HP and Seagate) and they have been working flawlessly but I still do not have my faith restored....Well, tonight I bit the bullet and deleted MANY photos from my computer and I am not the proud owner of over 100 GB of free space!

Two external HDD's are great, but are you storing the same data on both drives? The idea is to have every file stored on at least two drives - that can be one internal drive and one external drive, or two external drives. Ideally, you'd have the external two drives stored in two different locations (home and work, etc.).

Another option is an online backup service - I've heard good things about Mozy, and $55/year for unlimited storage seems pretty reasonable.