Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto ISO---Who Uses It?

Re: Auto ISO---Who Uses It?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Bob - one thing you might want to try is a different RAW converter. I'm playing with DxO right now, and I find that it does much better with ISO noise than DPP (forthcoming post on that later today).

Hmm, Good Idea, I have seen some of you guys talk about it, but have never tried it my self. I'll check and see if they have a trial version.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

Bob, I tried reduce some noise for the picture, hope you don't mind

Nice job JJ, I don't mind at all, and the shot does look better, I also don't mind the "unnatural background" Did you isolate the animal and reduce background noise in PS?

BTW, its a Coyote and this one was taken in the wild.Had some time with the mom and two pups, unfortunately, they were eaither too noisy or slightly OOF.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    I'll check and see if they have a trial version.

They do, that's what I'm using for now. Plus, it's on sale through 12/25 - the standard version is $99, and the elite version is $199 (same features, but you need the elite for the 5DII and 1-series bodies).

thanks Bob and tkerr for the comments

I was trying to show Bob that you can reduce noise this way and yes maybe I overdid it but I like the way it is.

anyway, I agree if you can limit the ISO you want to be, auto ISO is a nice feature to have.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    , I agree if you can limit the ISO you want to be, auto ISO is a nice feature to have.

I actually agree, I just need to pay more attention to what I am doing, should I decide to use it again.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

thanks Bob and tkerr for the comments

I was trying to show Bob that you can reduce noise this way and yes maybe I overdid it but I like the way it is.

I can appreciate that, In fact I might have blurred the background even more to make it look like a more natural bokeh.

One thing I might have tried in PS would be to isolate the Coyote in a layer mask and then use a gradient tool on the background and foreground.

If the OP doesn't mind I would like to give it a try and then re-post it.

anyway, I agree if you can limit the ISO you want to be, auto ISO is a nice feature to have.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I use a Canon EOS 50D, and I've never used the Auto ISO. It is only useful when you use one of the automated or semi-automated modes. With Auto ISO selected In Manual Mode it is fixed at 400 if you use a Flash it will be fixed at ISO 400. If set in the Portrait Mode it will be fixed at ISO 400. All other automated or semi-automated modes use a range from ISO 100 to 1600.
    There was a time when I used AV mode quite often and it might have helped, but now I am using Manual mode almost exclusively and often use a flash, Auto ISO would be useless to me. Outside in the bright Sun light I prefer to use lower ISO's. When cloudy or darker outside or when indoors I might want to use a higher ISO.

Hope you don't mind, Here is a quick edit in PS CS5 as described in my previous reply.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8637.5282.Coyote_2D00_edit.jpg[/img]

I use auto ISO on both the 7D and 5DII when I'm in situations where light conditions will change a lot. However, when using auto ISO I keep an eye on my ISO in addition to the meter, and if it gets unacceptably high it probably means I need to open up my aperture or have longer exposures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    It seems that I let my aperture tighten down to f14, didn't notice it and the resulting ISO was 3200

Based on this, it sounds like the problem was that you needed to watch the ISO as well as the meter and histogram. I'm sure had you noticed ISO was at 3200, you would have opened up that aperture. Auto ISO can be a great features, but it will require a bit of shift in style.

I really what Canon did with the auto ISO in M mode on the 7D. It creates a shutter and aperture priority mode. I just watch my ISO and make sure it's acceptable. I wish the 5DII would do the same thing.

With all that being said, I'm still with most of you &ndash; I normally manually set the ISO.
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Even my PowerShot S95 has [a user-selectable max auto ISO]...

Forgot to add that the S95 also has a setting that controls the rate of ISO progression (slow, normal, fast), so not only can you set a cap, you can also control how quickly it rises. So with it set to slow, the camera will slow down the shutter in Av or open up the aperture in Tv preferentially over raising the ISO. Not sure if the T2i or 60D have that feature in addition to the cap.

I