Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etiquette when changing lenses, different opinions??

Re: Etiquette when changing lenses, different opinions??

I keep the camera in its normal orientation (tripod socket down, hotshoe up). My lens rear caps are never on so tight that I can
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I had read somewhere that one of the reason to power down is to avoid an electrical spark damaging contacts between lens and camera.

After reading these posts I am glad to see that I am not the only person with a lens changing ritual

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I had read somewhere that one of the reason to power down is to avoid an electrical spark damaging contacts between lens and camera.

Even if that was true (I don't think it is), turning the camera off doesn't disable the electrical contacts. The camera is always on, all the switch does is tell it to go to sleep and ignore the user controls. (Normal sleep mode does not ignore user input).

When I'm indoors I follow a similar routine as all of you above.

When I'm shooting on the sidelines or in the field, I like a belt system. It's also great on trails or for events.

I use the Think Tank Belt System, and I make sure that I have one empty pouch on the belt.

So, when I change lenses:

I make sure the Neck strap is around my neck, especially at the beach, or near water, sand or snow, so you don't drop the body.

If I have time I turn the camera off, if I'm in a rush I leave the camera on.

I put the lens cap on the lens that is currently on the body, then I make sure that the 2 belt pouches are within my reach near my right hip; one is empty and the other pouch has the lens that I'm going to swap, which is lens face down and rear cap upward in the pouch.

I loosen the rear cap that is in the lens pouch, rear cap is upward.

Then I take off the lens that is on the body and place it in the empty pouch on my belt, with the lens facing downward and lens cap on, and the rear facing upward, then I take the loosened rear cap from the new lens while it still sits in its pouch, and then I transfer that rear cap to the lens that I just placed in the empty pouch.

Now, with the rear cap removed from the new lens, I remove it from the pouch and place it on the camera body, then remove the lens cap and place that in the newly emptied pouch, which will now become the empty pouch for my next swap.

Except for pressing the lens release button with my left hand, the entire lens swap is done with my right hand, sometimes I'm also holding a monopod with a 2nd body and lens attached, underneath my left armpit, with its neck strap also around my neck temporarily.

Rich

Thanks guys appreciate all the input. I was at public event and there were literally hundreds of photographers there, with quite a few pros. I saw one guy talking and changing lens and he had something like a Sigma 50-500 and was swapping that off the camera and basically did the whole thing without looking. Removed the large lens gripped it between his legs, kept talking to the photogs, the only time he looked at the camera was when he actually lined up the red dots. The whole thing seemless, but very casual, not the sort of ritualistic careful ceremony I have with my hard earned glass.

Tradesmen and their tools. I probably look as nonchalant when I
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Now i

Changing lenses with the camera body facing down

I have not read all the posts but my routine is quite different than some and with due respect I think better. Trondsters routine seems quite tedius and I would not make a habit of putting my glass straight down where it could possibly be scratched. It also does not consider a lense hood, especially a petal type, as mine often has. Otherwise one which could be flimsly in holding up glass in addition to a camera.

Anyhow, my steps are typically as follows...

1) I get the new lense, loosen the lense cap fully without removing, and then place it facing upwards (cap at bottom) on a stable surface.

2) Next, I typically rest the camera in my lap (due to fluid nature of shooting) with lense facing upwards and loosen fully without removing. I continue to hold the lense at all times and am able to leave the strap on my neck/shoulder for camera security. NOTE:In thecase of aroutine lense change I would simplychoose to use a flat surface for this step.

3) I then raise the new lense with my free hand and immediately attach it to the camera. The old lense is only removed as the new lense is attached, therefore the camera, which is protected by the mirror anyhow, is never exposed for more than a millisecond.

4) I then immediately put the old lense into the cap, which is still resting on the surface, and secure it.

The last two steps can be done in a matter of seconds and both lenses are always held upwards, thus the mount downward, which would be preferable for dust control. The camera is never exposed for more than a fraction of a second and is protected by the mirror anyhow.

If no surface is available and I make the change on my person a few things will change. I will put the new lense between my legs with the cap facing upward (glass facing downward, in sitting position) and loosen cap. I will then remove the old lense and immediately put the cap on it and secure it. I will then place the new lense on the camera. This can be done in a standing position as well. The camera and new lense is exposed a little longer but with practice all can be done in a matter of seconds.

I've never had an issue with dust control and is quite minimal on my 30d, considering I may take thousands of shots at an event with multiple lense changes. Anyhow, it works for me.

God Bless

A friend of mine just learnt the very costly lesson to always double check that your back pack zips are done up. (16-35mm in about 100 pieces)

Yikes!! [:P]

I use the 5D Mark II, 24-70mm f/2.8L and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS in the field (along with a pair of 580 EX II's), and, to be completely honest, I'm typically in a bit of a hurry to get things set up so I don't miss a shot (I usually shoot events - When shooting nature my pace is more relaxed). Swapping lenses usually involves removing the current lens, placing it face down (with a front cap attached) into my bag, removing the back cap of my new lens and then placing the new lens on the body. Usually the camera body remains cap-less over the course of this process, unless I'm shooting in rain, snow, blowing sand, etc. I have not observed any noticeable downsides to this (in terms of lots of dust on the mirror, sensor, etc).... Yet.. I do take care, though, to make sure the rear glass of my lenses does not come into direct contact with the camera lens mount or body, especially when using the 24-70L (which has a large rear element). I own a Lowepro backpack for nature photography, and I have heard TOO many horror stories of the main compartment zippers not being completely secured.

Hopefully you can gain some useful insight from my experience with lens swapping.

-Aleks

I