Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Re: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

It is hard to imagine how much things have changed .... my parents moved us (due to a better job opportunity for Dad) from a duplex in Wisconsin to a new home they had built in southern Kentucky in 1965 ... the cost of a brand new 3 bedroom split level house, 2 car garage and 1/2 acre lot was $15,000.00 ..... now we

Re: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Hmmmm, mabye sticking with your 500mm f/4 IS is not such a bad idea. But I you are going to upgrade I will second Nate

Pulled this thread out of the archives. It is One year and counting..... Maybe they will be released before the next two or three price increases.

@HD, funny you brought this thread up with the news feed that they're listed for April release.

Rick...apparently you have some pull...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=1918

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Rick...apparently you have some pull...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=1918
    I am on Canon's most valued customers list....

But really, the biggest spreader of Canon Rumors seems to be Canon themselves. We shall see in April.

So Rick, which way are you going to jump, or would you consider the 200-400 with buit in extender, that must not be too far off.
    I think Canon will need to respond with something special very quickly, because the 24-70 has left some underwhelmed.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    So Rick, which way are you going to jump, or would you consider the 200-400 with buit in extender, that must not be too far off.
    I think Canon will need to respond with something special very quickly, because the 24-70 has left some underwhelmed.
    After having a year to think about this, I have decided I am going to wait and see how the reviews shake out once Bryan gets his hands on the two lenses. I want to see the Extender comparison of the two before I buy one. I think both will be awesome at their native length, the TC's are going to be the deciding factors. At this point I am not interested in the 200-400 at all. But then we don't know how it is going to perform either.

Everyone wanted IS, I sold my old 24-70mm because I thought it was the worst canon L lens I had. Without the IS on the new 24-70mm it has to put out some awesome IQ for me to consider it. Disappointing yes...but....not a game changer.

Will you sell your 500, no matter which way you choose to go?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Will you sell your 500, no matter which way you choose to go?
    Yes, I couldn't really see a use for it if I had the 600mm. It would be a rare pic that you would think you needed exactly 100mm less. Obviously I wouldn't need two 500mm lenses.

I own the 300mm F2.8L, I would keep most likely keep it either way unless money was tight and I needed it to fund the upgrade. At some point I may upgrade it to the II version, then maybe not. I have taken it out maybe 10 times last year, it doesn't get allot of use. When it is the focal length you need, it is an awesome lens.

Really though, for the amount of improvement we will get out of the new lenses, the improvement is fractional and the cost is in whole numbers.