Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

It has been well over a year since they were announced.

Since the new supertele's were announced, Japan was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami.
    Two new camera bodies have been announced and one released by Canon.
    We had storms locally, with golf ball size hail. Parts of the state were hit by an earthquake, which is unheard of in this part of the world. We had the worst drought since the great depression.

Allot of things have happened, and allot of time has passed.

The last news was that the lenses would be released in April, and April is almost gone.

Soon, we will have genetically engineered pigs that can fly, then maybe...just maybe.. we will see these lenses on the market.

I am slowly beginning to realize that Canon did not specifically mention which April they would hit the shelves...

Am in same boat. Rationalized myself into thinking that I needed a 500 mm lens, just before the new versions were announced. Decided that I'd wait for the new version as the MTF charts were so promising. In the meantime, all of the older version have been scooped up.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    In the meantime, all of the older version have been scooped up.
    Well, I would probably let mine go for about for about $10,498---Still cheaper than the new one

Bob
    Bob

It is very kind of you to offer liberation from the seemingly endless wait.

I only photograph close friends. And if they are a thousand yards away, they ain't that close.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

Allot of things have happened, and allot of time has passed.

The last news was that the lenses would be released in April, and April is almost gone.

Soon, we will have genetically engineered pigs that can fly, then maybe...just maybe.. we will see these lenses on the market.
    Saw that Bryan has posted in the News section that these two lenses are finally shipping. Will keep an eye on things in the sky...
    Better late than never. Must have been some pressure to get them out the door before the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Saw that Bryan has posted in the News section that these two lenses are finally shipping. Will keep an eye on things in the sky...
    Better late than never. Must have been some pressure to get them out the door before the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

B&H hasn’t listed the lenses on pre-order yet, so I do not yet believe.
    I have just lost faith......

This thread was started with the promise of delivery last year at this time before a trip I was taking that I would have loved to try a new 500mm; of course the delay was justified. But the whole texture of which lens to pre-order has now changed. I am now going to wait and see how the 1D X Full Frame shakes out, and how the 2X III ISO’s look before I order one.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Come to think about it, I did see a UFSO (Unidentified Flying / Squealing Object) the other day....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Come to think about it, I did see a UFSO (Unidentified Flying / Squealing Object) the other day....
    With this report, I am now....Optimistic... it may happen

B&H is taking pre-orders.