Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: usa rebates?

usa rebates?

so...supposedly a rebate program was going to start today in the usa. i am going to sell and upgrade from my XSi to a 60D as soon as i get my tax rebate cheque in (hopefully this week) and have been been researching the best prices using photoprice.ca. well, i was planning on ordering from B&H, because they calculate the Canadian GST for you, and yesterday i checked and they were selling the 60D for $888, and today its $999 minus the $100 rebate equals $899..........so, it actualy went up in price. this is the first time i paid attention to rebates and looked before and after...........is this common practice to raise the price by more than the rebate, then put the rebate in place, so it is still selling for more???????????

think ill take a drive to vistek in mississauga and buy it here instead for $999 canadian and i wont have to wait for the camea to be shipped. i wont support stores that play tricks like this with rebate programs......and its probably best that i support my local economy anyway

jim

Re: usa rebates?

sold my 40d a few weeks back and held off on getting the 7d because i saw on canonrumors that there would be rebates going on feb 20.. i

I noticed that this morning and I was really hoping that they had just made a mistake [*-)]

gee......go figure......now adorama has increased the price on the 60D to 999 from 888 on saturday, minus the 100 rebate, making the final price 899. so, my conclusion is.........its not a rebate offered, but a 10 dollar price increase.

Yep, it seems to be better (buy a few dollars) to buy after the rebates run out! Maybe Canon requires them to start at retail before they
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I have noticed it before, many times before the rebate they are actually cheaper.

Abe's of Maine have the 60D for $850 with free5 to 6 day shipping, not a huge discount but better than paying more at B&H. They have 5200 reviews and 99%, about the same as Amazon so it's a safe bet they are legit. But I haven't bought from them before.

John

Buydig.com

Quote Originally Posted by digitizedchaos
    it looks like bhphoto jacked up the price of the 7d then offered a $200 instant rebate..

Exactly,...I noticed this too. If I remember correctly the price before the rebate program started was $1479.00 for the body.

Now after the rebate is applied, $1499.00. Hmmmm...

Any BH Photo/Video representatives want to "chime" in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    I have noticed it before, many times before the rebate they are actually cheaper.

that's why they are called "reputable stores"[:P]

But I haven't bought from them before.

don't be scared guys, there are some other good stores like Abe's and buydig.com with lower price.

but if you still want to order from those reputable stores, Adorama should match the lowest price, just ask!

seriously, rebates should go to the consumer not the stores, why should we recommend a store who always wants to "steel" peoples money?!

I have noticed in the past that the Canon rebates are usually closely followed by a Canon price increase. However, you used to have a week to pull the trigger between the rebate announcement and the price increase. Looks like this time they went hand-in-hand.Perhaps this is in addition to the February glass increase.

Abe's of Maine have the 60D for $850 with free5 to 6 day shipping, not a huge discount but better than paying more at B&H. They have 5200 reviews and 99%, about the same as Amazon so it's a safe bet they are legit. But I haven't bought from them before.

I have purchased Canon from Abe's and they are a legit Canon dealer. The only thing is that to get it shipped quicker you need to either order by phone or call after you place the order online as they will call before they fill the order to try to add a cheep filter or Mack warranty. Once you decline that the items are quickly shipped, including the free or lowest cost option. I have purchased a T1i and some glass from them and there has never been any problem...

ONE THING TO KNOW: if you do purchase from Abe's, there is an ongoing promotion for a $10 discount. In the Promotion Code box you enter "<span style="color: #000080;"]loyalty10" and many, but not all, things will see a $10 discount. I used it last month to beef up my primes with a 135 <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L, and it worked then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson
    Buydig.com

I have purchased memory from Buydig/Beach Camera and they have been smooth transactions.

In addition, the main place I purchase my Canon gear from is PCNation through a salesman named Steve Cromar. He will usually meet and generally beat, by a little, legitamate dealers. He also gets me my items in two days with free FedEx shipping. If anyone is interested, I will forward his contact information. I do not get anything, I just can attest to his honesty. You get what you order quickly with no pressure to make additional purchases.

On a side note, with the FED printing money to buy back their own bonds, I would expect to see prices on everything from glass to gas continue to rise as the value of the good ol' green back continues to fall. Therefore, I would not expect to see better prices anytime soon. I am sure glad I purchased what I did before Christmas. It looks like a better investment than my retirement account. Even the 1D IV went up, and ususlly bodies fall and glass goes up. Go figure. [:^)]

Chris