Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3-19 super perigee

Re: 3-19 super perigee

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Tim here's a quick explanation of "super"; "While the names of many moon phases are rich in folklore, the supermoonbecame”super” because ofRichard Nolle – an [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/astrologer?__utma=1.680598376.1300614561.130061456 1.1300614561.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1300614561&__ utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1300614561.1.1.utmcsr=thesaurus.com% 7Cutmccn=%28referral%29%7Cutmcmd=referral%7Cutmcct =/&__utmv=-&__utmk=16737974]astrologer[/url] with a flair for the dramatic"; predicted a particular full moon passing very close to earth would cause disastrous events.

It has currently become a common term in referencing the orbit of the moon when it comes very close to the earth, as in last night's moon. If I remember correctly, last night's was the closest in 19 years.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes it is the closest perigee in 19 years "during the full moon". It is however Not the closest perigee in 19 year. There has been closer perigees more recently and will again in 2016 be even closer.

Nevertheless, The difference in apparent size from one perigee to another at perigee is so little it would be hard to tell with the naked eye. Most of the size effect distortions people see with the naked eye are caused by our atmosphere. If it weren't for recent events and the media hype people wouldn't have noticed any difference.

With all the recent hype over the super moon still lingering on, I thought this
    article might be interesting for those who pay too much attention to the
    mainstream media, and "astrologers".

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...118265299.html

Even
    if you take pictures for comparison of two different full Moons at perigee, there
    would be no guarantee in it's accuracy. One might look larger or smaller than
    the other, but is that truly because of its distance to the Earth? Or could it
    be atmospheric distortions? Most likely the Atmosphere!
    To get a realistic comparison when the size
    difference is so little, everything would have to be the same for each. I.e. The camera and lens or telescope, the
    location and time of day, the elevation above the horizon, and more importantly
    the atmospheric conditions would have to be the same. Good luck with that.

Bah! The ENTIRE night it was a thick, gray blanket of clouds here. Didn
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

The clouds got more cooperative after midnight. It was cold when the sky cleared, but worth it.

1D IV, EF 70-200f/2.8 IS I + 1.4x, ISO 100 f/8 1/250, cropped from the center aggressively

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/1121.20110319_2D00_C32I3527.jpg[/img]