Thread: PS CS5 help

PS CS5 help

Hi all,

I have recently loaded CS5 and am learning how to use it. In bridge all of the images look flat and soft. In the editor or PSE organizer they look good. Do I have a setting somewhere set wrong?

Also coming from PSE I used the cookie cutter to create vignettes. PS help tells me to add a Vector Mask to your layer, make sure that the Vector Mask is selected and then use the Custom Shape tool to draw the shape you want. I do not see how to feather this tool. Or is there a better way to vignette?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Mark

Re: PS CS5 help

I

Quote Originally Posted by greggf

I'm not familiar with bridge too much( I have CS5,but I use it in conjunction with Lightroom 3). But...camera raw has the same functions as LR3, and in there, there is a function called "Post-Crop vignette" in the effects tab. To do a really good vignette, use the function in "highlight-priority", and you will get your vignette. Works really, really, well!!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Greggf,

This is pretty cool. Good control for basic effect. I still like the cookie cutter tool but I see this is pretty usful too.

thanks

Mark
    Mark

There are a few reasons your pictures might look flat when you preview them in Adobe Bridge. It's essentially reading the metadata and applying it to the preview image. Check your cache settings, and try purging the Cache too.
    Also make sure it's not using software rendering, let your hardware do that for you. In Edit / Preferences / Advanced, uncheck Software rendering. And then also make sure your color settings in Photoshop are correct. More importantly, Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated.

As far as Vignetting a picture you have a couple ways you can apply or correct a vignette. In ACR under the FX icon you can do as already described and set the post crop vignette. You can also use the Lens Correction to apply or correct a vignette too. And then in Photoshop under Filters you also have Lens Correction where you can apply or correct a Vignette. if you're creative you can make the vignette any color of your choice.

To familiarize yourself more with CS5 I recommend reviewing the Videos at Adobe TV in the following first couple links. I'll also include a few other links to great video tutorials for CS5

Learn Photoshop CS5

Photoshop CS5 Feature Tour

Max 2010 Photoshop Session

Planet Photoshop

The Russell Brown Show Tips and Tricks

Using Adobe Bridge

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I just got a copy of CS5 myself. So, thanks for the links tkerr, I

Hi all, i mentioned this in another thread, but the best advice i can give for photoshop, ( or anthing else for that matter), is you tube, it is full of geeks posting really easy to follow tutorials, see this link for a really basic search and the plethora of useful results;

[View:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cs5+vignetting&aq=0]

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

There are a few reasons your pictures might look flat when you preview them in Adobe Bridge. It's essentially reading the metadata and applying it to the preview image. Check your cache settings, and try purging the Cache too.
    Also make sure it's not using software rendering, let your hardware do that for you. In Edit / Preferences / Advanced, uncheck Software rendering. And then also make sure your color settings in Photoshop are correct. More importantly, Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated.

As far as Vignetting a picture you have a couple ways you can apply or correct a vignette. In ACR under the FX icon you can do as already described and set the post crop vignette. You can also use the Lens Correction to apply or correct a vignette too. And then in Photoshop under Filters you also have Lens Correction where you can apply or correct a Vignette. if you're creative you can make the vignette any color of your choice.

To familiarize yourself more with CS5 I recommend reviewing the Videos at Adobe TV in the following first couple links. I'll also include a few other links to great video tutorials for CS5
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for the response. software rendering is checked but greyed out so I do not know if that means it is on or off. The cache slider is at about 10% from the left. This was the original default setting. I did clear the cache. My monitor is calibrated and the images look good in the CS5 editor. It is not a big difference between the editor and bridge viewer but noticeable.

Yes, Adobe TV is where I was planning on going. Thanks for the suggested topics.

Mark

Mark