Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA error when using Photoshop

Re: NVIDIA error when using Photoshop

Take a picture of the mobo and we
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Are you referring to a VGA adapter?

Yes, I will post a link to the one she says I should get as soon as she boots up her computer and sends it to me. We are under a tornado watch and with the lightning going on, she had her new dell off ...I'm more daring with my 70 yr. old machine!

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke
    Just as a thought, when was the last time you changed your surge protector?

Ummm ...put it this way, it's alot older than my computer! Thanks for adding this to my "things to buy" list! I never would have thought about it otherwise, as long as it still turns my machine on, I figure I'm good!

This is the link of what she says I need to get ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+DVI-to-VGA+Adapter/7960986.p?id=1153336299169&skuId=7960986&s t=vga%20adapter&cp=1&lp=3

All I need to do is get this, take out my video card (no, I don't watch TV on my computer so it can go), install her card w/ this thing and I should be good to go?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    All I need to do is get this, take out my video card (no, I don't watch TV on my computer so it can go), install her card w/ this thing and I should be good to go?

That means you have a PCI express X16 2.0. Well, it might fix your error but you won't be able to take advantage of GPU acceleration because it only has 512mb of RAM and you need at least 768MB for the hack to work. It also dosen't have othernewer technologies in order tofully take advantage CS5'saccelerated GPUfeatures.

I have one of those adapters and they work fine.

John.

You may be good to go, assuming your power supply is up to it. As this is also a fairly low-end GPU, you're probably fine. This link, is showing total system power at 145W for a Core 2 quad system w/ ATI 3450. As long as you have a bit of a safety margin, say a 200W supply, you should be fine.

Cables and converters are cheaper at monoprice, but that's only useful if you have time to wait for shipping, so this might not be useful today, but good to know in general. I managed to get an optical audio cable, a digital coax cable, and a specialty box to convert optical to digital coax, shipped internationally to my door, for half the price of just the optical cable at Best Buy. We're talking HDMI cables for like $2-$3 instead of $40. Optical cables for $1-$3 instead of $50.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Actually the 450 GTS will work, but like Jan said it needs a hack to make it work. For some reason I thought the 450 was natively supported but it was the 470. Sorry about that.

I should have waited. The card is on its way.

I think the hack will be too dangerous for me to try.

My daughter doesn

The worst thing that could happen is it won

Thanks for clarifying John. I never had to use the "crack" so I didn't know what it was about. If it is as harmless as you say it is, it might be a thing to consider for me to trade in my GTX 470 for a more power-efficient card. Perhaps a Radeon HD6850 or something. Wouldn't you need the CUDA cores in the graphics card? Ah well...I'm happy as it is []

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    My daughter doesn't know how to do the power
    supply thing so at this point, I'm back to leaving it as is. Which is
    not good, since I think this is what is making other programs not run
    smoothly.

To be honest Denise, a power supply cannot really be the cause of your problems. It delivers enough power or too little. And if it's too little, the pc just won't work or the power supply will break down. You cannot dim the pc performance like one would dim a lightbulb.

If everything is right, the mainboard should be powered by either a 20 or 24-pin main power line and a 4 or 8-pin processor power connector.

If programs don't run smoothly(start-up time is a different story) you most likely have "outdated" hardware. Mostly processor, hard drive or memory performance.

If you open the taskmanager and you look at the performance-tab. Have it set always on front in the options settings and run the program you want. Then you will see which part of your pc struggles the most. For instance when I use filters in Photoshop, my memory-usage goes to a 100% very fast, while my processor has got more than enough power left. If I wanted to get it smoother, I would have to look at other/more memory.

Hope this makes sense.

Good luck,

Jan