Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA error when using Photoshop

NVIDIA error when using Photoshop

This is the second time I will try and post this so if it shows up twice ...I apologize!

All has been going pretty smooth for alittle while. At least, until today!

When I use Photoshop, I get this message ...

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application will now close. Please visit www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error Code 8."

Photoshop closes & I reboot and all is good again for awhile, then I get the same message.

Well, the webiste wasn

Re: NVIDIA error when using Photoshop

I don
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

When I use Photoshop, I get this message ...

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application will now close. Please visit www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error Code 8."

Interesting. The same thing has happened to me. I have a 9500GT NVIDIA (512 Mb memory). I've also updated the drivers to the same, as yours. No difference. It still crashes the card. I've got Photoshop set for optimum performance for my PC. It's about 2 yrs old.

My card crashes when I attempt to use the Pixel Bender filter, OilPaint. It matters not if I tell Photoshop to use OpenGL or not. If I use the filter with "process with GPU" checked, the card will stop working every single time, and will display the same error code as yours (Error 8). The NVIDIA site offers no useful information on how or why this error shows up.

If I uncheck the GPU in the filter window, and use the CPU to process the image, it will complete the filtering, with OilPaint, but only after several tries.

Several users on this forum are using Pixel Bender filters. They say that they can process images in a few minutes, so they aren't having these issues like you and me.

Maybe they can address both our issues, since I could sure use some help, too.

@ David - I do have a PCI Express System (at least that is what my daughter tells me). The power supply replacement does not put a smile on my face by any means So, do I buy a graphics card and just cross my fingers it will work? My daughter says I should get a GEForce GTS 450 but she doesn

I did just unclick the GPU box and a box opened that said "This is taking an extremely long time to execute. Click ok to continue or cancel to quit" or something like that. I had it continue and it did get thru the process and it really didn

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    - I do have a PCI Express System (at least that is what my daughter tells me). The power supply replacement does not put a smile on my face by any means So, do I buy a graphics card and just cross my fingers it will work? My daughter says I should get a GEForce GTS 450 but she doesn't know if my power supply can handle it.

No, you can look at the cards power supply requirements and it will tell you how much you need. I aready google it for you and you need minimum 400 watt power supply, which will be fine for a low end computer like yours. If you had a nicemachine then a 500 watt is what you would want, the higher end components will consume more power. The GTS 450 is a verydecent card andwill work great.

I could almost bet money that your power supply is not big enough and you would have tobuy a new one.

Here is a link to one for $75 after mail in rebate at Amazon http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162062&cm_re=gts_45 0-_-14-162-062-_-Product.

And here is a decent power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104953&cm_re=400_wa tt_power_supply-_-17-104-953-_-Product.

Your looking at $118 after mail in rebate plus shipping, now thats notso bad isn't it?[]

Hope that helps,

John.

John, you are awesome!![Y] Thank you so very, very much for posting this information! I will look further into the items you suggested and see if they wil work for me!

Alan - take a look at the links John provided, maybe they will work for you too!

Denise

Alan

Denise, John, thanks.

I would have expected that my 9500GT would be sufficient, even at 512 Mb memory. Maybe it's not.

Do me a favor, install your new power supply and card, then report back the results. My machine has a larger power supply, so I would only need a new card. But, I think I'll wait til I hear if it fixes your issue, before I dive into the purchase of a new card.

When you do your Pixel Bender processing as you described, that's what happens to me, too. I have to keep clicking continue, then it finally renders the image.

Alan

My pleasure, glad I could help. I have built computers in the past and amknowledgeable in that field also....[8-|]

The 9500GT would still work but it dosen't suport DX11. I have almost the samecard with about the same performance on my older computerand it's a bit on the slow side, for only $75 after mail in rebate it's not worth a few bucks saved.

Cheers,

John.