Thread: Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

One of the things I've really enjoyed about photography is that I am spending a lot of time observing the behavior of different animals,mostly birds, while trying to photograph them. For example, in watching the eagles in February, I watched two juveniles lie in wait and attack a third juvenile that had just caught a fish. The action was very far away, but I have a brief series of a chase and then the attack (~100% crop below)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/2450.Bird-attack-1.JPG[/img]

It's also been really interesting to watch the GBH's share nesting responsibilities, one going fishing while the other tends the nest...and then alternating....

So, this morning, I hear this incredible ruckass outside. All these birds are screaming. I walk out and see about 8 or 10 Blue Jays all around one tree and all of them acting very agitated, flying around...down to the ground and back up again. So, of course, I grab my camera and try to get close:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/0647.Blue-Jay-IMG_5F00_1155pp.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/5556.Blue-Jay-IMG_5F00_1187pp.JPG[/img]

As I approach, I see the following and everything makes sense:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/2063.Blue-Jay-IMG_5F00_1232.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/0245.Cat-IMG_5F00_1210.JPG[/img]

So, the ruckass I heard was a bunch of blue jays trying to protect another wounded jay that was on the ground. They were flying down and pestering the cat to keep it away from the wounded jay. Pretty remarkable to see unfold.

So I shooed the cat away as far as I could, and tried to approach the wounded blue jay but it ran off into some shrubs. I left it there and I haven't heard any more blue jay screams, so hopefully it is working out.

Thanks...Brant

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

Re: Animal Kingdom

Yeah animal behavior is a very interesting thing, that

Huh.....It didn't even cross my mind that it could have been a young blue jay. But that makes complete sense. And,of course, now looking at the picture on theblue jay on the ground, it looks younger.

Thanks....Brant

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography

Yeah animal behavior is a very interesting thing, that's why I have made a career out of studying them.

However, Your bluejay story has one flaw. I'm pretty positive that the "wounded jay" is actually just a young blue jay, that either has not fledged yet or isn't very good at flying yet. Birds don't usually defend other adult birds, but they do defend their young with their life.

That is a young Bluejay on the ground. It either fell from the nest, or one of it's siblings kicked it out.

We found one last year that had fallen from the nest, it lived for a few weeks, and was even eating good. Unfortunately however, the fall caused internal injuries and it didn't survive.