Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tired of camera scams?

Re: Anyone else tired of camera scams?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

How about places that do the opposite? Charging WAY more for a camera than the MSRP?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I guess their stuff will just not sell at all... And when people ask them to match price with stores that sell for cheap, they can always do it. Like Vistek in Toronto.

Thanks Helen,

You're a very gracious ambassador.

I will keep your comments in mind if I ever have a problem, though I think I'll be fine.

Thanks again!

colin

KEH.com Its a haven for used equipment and generally on par with new gear.

This reply is not about a scam, but it is a quick warning. I really like Adorama, especially their print service. I made a recent purchase (two weeks ago) and bought a refurb Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro that came factory sealed and in pristine condition. I also bought a used 1Ds Mark II that was rated as an E+, or:

Excellent Plus 96-97% of original condition

<div>May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>It was $2,599. This being my first 1-series camera I was literally shaking when it arrived and couldn't wait to get it in my hands. So I started to open it. First the strap...the Canon Digital writing was a nasty yellow color with hair all over it. Fine, I don't really use it anyway. It was labelled as having the accs and box. No manual (I can download, who cares) and the battery cover was missing. The charger and DC coupler kits was absolutely COVERED in sand and dust. Now I'm freaking out since I have yet to look at the body itself. I pull it out, and it had fine sand and dust in EVERY crack, button, and any place it could get into. There are several specks on all of the pictures I take so I need to clean the sensor, but there is dirt on the focusing screen and pentaprism too. The main grip had this nasty crudd in it (I assume from a sweaty hand) that I had to spend two full hours scrubbing off with a tooth brush and water+dish soap mix. The BIGGEST issue was that I couldn't send it back. If it went back for any reason my wife would have made me get a refund, and then there was no way for me to buy another one since I basically ordered it from her confusion. She didn't want me to spend that kind of money on it, and her "go ahead and order it" was referring to the lens only. Sorry, a little off point. When I see a rating of 96%-97% original condition, I expect to get something pretty close to new. Is close inspection considered 15 feet away? I was stunned at this since I have had nothing but good expirences with them. It wasn't serviced in any way, and not even cleaned or dusted for that matter. It's been two weeks and I have finally got most of it clean except for the internal dirt which I just had cleaned for $100 at a local shop. But one of the gaskets right below and right of the viewfinder looks like it's missing so the moisture seal is gone. Oh yeah, there is dust on the INSIDE of the two inch LCD. </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>So from now on, refurb is just fine. But I will never buy anything used unless I can look at it first. Once storm season comes, I'm not sure if I should try to shoot in even the finest drizzle. That was the whole purpose of getting the 1Ds2 in the first place. I'm sure Helen is not going to be happy with this post, but I don't think anything can even but done at this point anyway. Great camera, but more like a rating of Very Good with a much cheaper price. Just my two cents.</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>Rick Hovanec
    </div>

Dear Rick

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I have no problem whatsoever withyour posting - I have the problem with the person who rated it at 96-97% of original condition - although I'll be generous, and until I've looked into it, give the used department the benefit of the doubt, that maybe the packer took it from the wrong section of the warehouse....<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Either way, contact me directly with your order number, and let's get you a partial refund so you can take your wife out for dinner this weekend!<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1ersonname u2:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</u1ersonname>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>
    </st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

That's funny! ;-)

I'm sure she'd love that with all things considered.

I'll send you an e-mail with the info.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I understand that Joel, in the used department has given you a choice between an exchange for a pristine model - or some $$$ back. (You could buy her a nice new outfit, too, if you take the refund!!)<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Whatever you decide, I hope I've been able to reassure you that while we do make mistakes, we are committed to learning from them, and putting them right. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"][email="helen.oster@adoramacamera.com]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com[/email]</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"][url="http://www.adoramacamera.com]www.adoramacamera.com[/url]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

I'll second that Adorama's used department needs to be audited. The customer service is top notch - but ideally they shouldn't be contacted. The used equipment should come as rated and customers proceed to take pictures. I ordered a used 17-55 2.8 IS that was rated as "E" (Excellent 90-95% of original condition Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.)

It came with very dusty lens glass upon immediate inspection. I brushed this off. After immediate use, the IS was intermittent. This is something that I realize could be missed on inspection, but a major flaw nonetheless. Thankfully, their customer service got everything straightened out (Alan deserves the pat on the back, Helen =). I have missed the cash now for going on a month, but miss the pictures I could have shot with this lens more. I should have bought new, especially if I was purchasing before travel or a major event.

I'll give Adorama's used dept one more shot before avoiding the time/hassle of customer service, even though it's top notch.

Helen's active approach to customer service on this forum conveys a lot more about the service than I can say here. Thanks!

Still a happy Adorama customer,

Matthew

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Dear Matthew<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Sounds horrible; and you are absolutely correct - the used department should be getting this right first time. Can you just clarify for me, are you still waiting refund / exchange?<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]If so, email me directly with your order number and I will deal with it right away.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Sincerely<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Helen Oster
    <span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

Helen, if I weren't engaged, I might have to fall in love with you []