Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tired of camera scams?

Anyone else tired of camera scams?

Sorry this is a bit off topic...

I wrote on a related topic about swoopo.com pretty much being a scam, and Bryan (because he is a highly ethical guy) made sure to remove them from being able to advertise on TDP.com. But is anyone else getting fed up with the Camera scammers who try to say they will sell you a $1500 camera for $1000 bucks?!

There are so many companies doing this, and they are getting away with it because Google doesn't screen who they are advertising. I have gotten at least 5 such advertisements from different companies in my gmail. I think: "this is too good to be true" and I google "company name + review (or "scam")" and inevitably, there are a hundred reviews of the company out there where people ordered from them, the next day they get a call where they are pressured or threatened to pay exorbitantly for included accessories....a basic bait and switch. I warned a friend off of a company called Broadway Photo, and my in-laws fell for one of these scams trying to buy a point-and-shoot. And it is not just Google advertising. Many times when I check price-histories on NexTag.com, the price-lowballing company is one of these scammers. I have never fallen for one of these, but I think enough is enough because there are people out there who don't know better!

I am passionate about this because it is sad, and I think a big, innovative company like Google shouldn't be allowing this kinda thing through their advertising. But I guess the "Almightly Dollar" is more important to them than honest.

Why not start a list here of these fake companies (I don't think any of them actually have a physical address). The ones I can remember are:

Broadway Photo, Pro Photo Nation...I can't remember the others (shoulda' written them down), but I just found a list here:

[url="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_stores_2006.html]http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_stores_2006.html[/url]

BestPriceCameras <span>

InfinityPhoto <span>

JandKCameras <span>

Broadway Photo

A&amp;M Photo World

Regal Camera

Prestige Camera

Preferred Photo

Wisetronics<span>

Express Cameras

Genius Cameras<span>

RiteBuys<span>

SonicCameras

PricingDepot.com

USAPhotoNation

RadioactiveDeals

BananaBoatCamera

CCICameraCity

HoyBuyElectronics<span>

Century21Electronics<span>

RoyalCamera<span>

TheCameraPros

AllStar Camera Inc

Hopefully by raising awareness on the internet, these criminals will lose there business and have to go back to purse snatching.

<tr>
    <td width="244"]
    </td>
    <td width="145" align="center"]
    </td>
    </tr>

Alan

Re: Anyone else tired of camera scams?

I agree.

How about places that do the opposite? Charging WAY more for a camera than the MSRP?

I checked on an ad too good to be true for a 5D new for $1,100. I can not remember who it was but I found the camera was a grey plastic body.

I once dealt with Wallstreet camera and felt taken.

I have always found B&amp;H, Adorama and KEH to be very reasonable and honest.

Thanks for the heads up on these others.
    Mark

I have just one word ADORAMA. Thier prices are competitive, their staff is great and they go out of their way to make sure you are a happy customer. I have several stories about their service if anyone cares to message me privately, but suffice to say they are outstanding.

I just prevented a friend from falling off into the black hole you documented above. When in doubt, just go search http://www.resellerratings.com

Now if ADORAMA could only tell me how to get 16x20's shipped across the country without getting a fold down the middle. Does anyone in the post office actually read the big print that says PHOTOS DO NOT BEND?

Everyone knows this, but I would like to go ahead and plug for B&amp;H. I have had some conversations with their sales associates that go to show just how extrememly ethical and customer-minded they are. I buy from them with pleasure.

Two of my friends who were checking out prices for equipment found their internet sites and were quite interested/hooked because of the low ball prices. Since I've heard of them through www.bobatkins.com , this forum and others, I was suspicious right away. I was able to warn them off and they went ahead to purchase from reputable dealers without problems. I just wonder how many people who are unaware or naiveget caught by these scammers and pay for it. There should be a way that first time buyers can be made aware of these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

I have just one word ADORAMA. Thier prices are competitive, their staff is great and they go out of their way to make sure you are a happy customer. I have several stories about their service if anyone cares to message me privately, but suffice to say they are outstanding.

I like Adorama. A lot of the times they are a little cheaper than B&amp;H. I receive damaged stuff from B&amp;H a couple times. They were clearly visibly damaged and they sent them anyway. They I had a hard time getting refunds. So I was over them.

The only issue I had with Adorama was a slow shipping issue. I ordered something Christmas night and expected it to go out on the 26th (they were open). I paid for express shipping, then the next thing I know, it doesn't show up until Jan. 4th. I just wrote if off a holiday crunch shaft.

I've had some okay experiences with Adorama, though one dude there was just annoying in selling me filters I didn't want, and then sending me filters with fingerprints all over them. Just annoying.

B&amp;H has always delivered what I ordered, and once took back a couple of Sigma 150mm Macro lenses and extenders with no other reason necessary than I just didn't like how they felt.

Calumet has been okay in the past too, though their website was a pain to figure out.

B&amp;H is my default, though Adorama is fine with me. I liked the refurbed 100-400 delivery just fine. No hassles, just showed up with the filter I ordered.

Dear Keith

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Sounds to me that we owe you a shipping refund! Please contact me directly, <st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"], <span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]with your order number and I will check this out for you.<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]If you ever have a query or concern regarding another order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1ersonname u2:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</u1ersonname>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>

</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

"I've had some okay experiences with Adorama, though one dude there was just annoying in selling me filters I didn't want, and then sending me filters with fingerprints all over them."

<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Dear Colin
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]I do apologize that you received filters with fingerprints over them, and that may have appeared not to be brand new. <o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]There is one probable explanation; the manufacturers and distributors, who supply to Adorama, and of course, other retailers, do allow us to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. This can be a particular issue after the Christmas holiday when we all need to balance out our inventories. <o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Even if we at Adorama are completely thorough when packaging up these items for return, there is no doubt that less scrupulous retailers could well be receiving returns, trusting the customer's explanation that they never opened the box - packaging them up for return to the manufacturer or distributor. These items then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers.<o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]No retailer can inspect the contents of every packaged received into the warehouse. If the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even though it may well have not been their fault <o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of. While this does not exempt us from more closely checking any and all returns, some retailers don't; we know we shouldn't do it, but it happens.<o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.<o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]The other issue you raised was in connection with feeling that you were being pressured into purchasing additional items that you didn't actually require. While we do expect our sales staff to be able to advise customers about additional products, I would always want to be informed if this was presented in a high pressure way that made our customers feel uncomfortable.
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist any further with the issues you raised, or any issues in relaton to ordering from Adorama.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]
    <st1ersonname w:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]<o></o>
    <p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Tahoma;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com