Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bryan, Why do you do this to me?

Re: Bryan, Why do you do this to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I also think that the MKIV is better in shooting in lower light with less noise if someone needs that capability, but with the excellent noise reduction software out there, this result can be duplicated on the computer.

I agree with everything except this, unfortunately I could not duplicate this in the computer. If the noise is lowerto the next camera, no amount of noise reduction will make them the same with the same amount of deitail.

Fortunately because of finiacial constraints, I probably won't be able to buy it untill the 1D V comes out. And if I did a 600mmor 800mm is coming before the body.

John.

@Rick, I agree the fun factor is definitely there. Just the sound of the MKIV shutter going off at 10 frames/sec is worth the price of admission. (Hey what happened to our little smiley faces? :-)

@John, I understand where you're coming from regarding noise reduction and the key is not to overdo it, but Topaz denoise does a pretty good job at retaining detail, while attempting to just target the noise. Sometimes the image even looks like it "appears" to have more detail after the noise is filled in since the image appears less grainy. I understand that it's really not adding detail, it's just filling in what are brains are expecting to see.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    You mentioned the weight of the 400/2.8, and that's an issue with the 500/4 as well.

Yes the weight of the 400mm f2.8L is quite hard to ignore. Honestly handholding this lens to shoot a still object is very, very intensive. Almost to the point of impossible. Especially when we're talking about longer periods of time(>5mins continues). The 500mm however is 1,5kg/3,3lbs lighter. The new version is even lighter. That would make a huge difference. I haven't held one of these, but I bet that that difference would make it hand holdable to me.

For moving objects however(like airshows) I found the weight to be less of an issue. Still it was hurting a lot between the shoulders after a day of shooting, but it was doable. Again, I think the benefit of the 500mm's weight would be a huge difference from the 400mm.I'm not sure if the price of the new 500mm II is justifiable to the weight reduction, but the 400mm II would certainly be worth the extra cash versus the "old" 400mm 2.8L.

The other part of that dilemma is that the current 500/4 is a fine lens, and while I expect some modest improvement with the MkII (perhaps more with TCs), the real difference is probably the weight Is that worth $3500?

As I said, I'm not sure about this. I think you should use the 500mm I and see what you think before trying the number II and get spoiled

My shooting with the 100-400mm usually involves quite a bit of hiking - parking the car, walking a few steps, setting up a tripod/gimbal head and waiting for the birds to come just isn't my style. I have some concerns about hanging the 11.5 lbs / 5.2 kg of gripped 7D + 500/4 from a BlackRapid strap on my shoulder, and walking for a few miles.

While I wasn't really hiking last weekend, some trips required quite a bit of long distant walks. And I believe that the tripod mount is a very nice handle to carry the lens. I wouldn't mind walking more than half an hour with it. However I wouldn't really enjoy it either

Again the weight of the 500mmL's or 400mmL II would be significantly less, so it might not be as bad as you think. PS, forget about the blackrapid thing, you're probably not going to use it with a tele lens like this.

Oh and for the tripod thing. My tripod wasn't really strong enough to carry the 400mm's weight. However my cheap Jinbei JB-300 Lightstand with my free Redged RT-2 Ballhead, was a surprisingly good combination! While it probably wasn't usable for long exposure shots, it served very well as a tripod/monopod. Plus it can get up to 2.8m/9ft of height, which is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    That doesn't mean that the 7D can't capture
    these peak action shots, because it certainly can, however the MKIV just
    gives you that little bit of an edge in capturing that absolute peak
    moment.

Good point Rich, you're absolutely right on these in between shots. If I was getting paid for my photos this would be a huge thing to consider. However if you're just shooting for fun or something, a lot of actions repeat and you get more than one chance to get that in between shot. That's also something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

WWhew----I checked the B&amp;H Website today for the 1DIV and this is what I found: <span class="red"]<span style="color: #b80505;"]Temporarily unavailable

Imanaged to hold off for four days, Problem solved....... for the moment.

Lucky you Bob! Hehe

I