Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Body should I go for?

Which Body should I go for?

I currently shoot with a 30D and my lens line-up is EFS 17-55mm 2.8 and EF 50mm 1.8. My typical subject matter seems to be landscapes (both tripod and hand held), and people shots (indoor and outdoor) - portraits and groups, candid. My style is generally photo journalistic and I also do a lot of HDR. I am an available light photographer. My future lenses will be both wider and longer, and I want to keep my line-up fast, at least 2.8 (except for 15-85mm (for landscapes) and 8-16mm sigma).

Why the upgrade?

I love my 30D but its megapixels come up short when doing enlargements and cropping, and the noise is a problem with my HDR and high ISO available light shots. These two issues are my main drivers. Noise is the biggest issue.

The two bodies I'm considering are the 7D and 5DII. Two things that count against the 5DII are cost and non-EFS compatibility. I am open to any suggestions, I'm not restricting myself to these two bodies, they're just my first guess.

I'm in no great rush.

"If I told you that you have a nice body, would you hold it against me?" - Bennie Hill

Re: Which Body should I go for?

I went with a Canon 7D and have had no regrets. I own 3 EF-S lenses and it would be very difficult for me to let them go when upgrading to a full frame, as getting a comparable full-frame equivalent for all three would be costly.

The 5D Mark II is undeniably a great camera--but for me, the 7D has been a great choice for me.

I'll be interested to hear what those with both bodies think. My quick take is that you are talking about two great camera bodies. The 5DII is probably a little better for everything you just mentioned (including high ISO performance--I believe the 5DII is about a stop better than the 7D), with the possible exception of candids (AF and FPS of the 7D may help you out there). But, to get that slight improvement, it will cost you a fair amount, and as Sean just noted, not just in the camera body, but also for the lenses that are equivalent to the EFS lineup.

I have the 7D and am very happy with it. But if I was a low light landscape, portrait first type of shooter with sufficient money, I would probably get the 5DII (or, with enough money, the 1Ds ).

Thanks Kayaker72. One stop is a lot when you need it, but you

I use the 60D and the noise is quite good in real life and print very well. But for HDR

I shoot with a 5dmkii and a 7d and Im afraid to say the 5dmkii is more than a stop in real life stuations, it sometimes blows me away how the 5d can shoot in the dark. I do like my 7d but its far more suited to a faster pace life. Just my 50cents

Sometimes I think we take too much time to decide on equipment.

In its day (not that long ago) the 20D was state of the art.

It is now outdated.

BUT

It is one of three cameras I carry at a wedding

and to tell you the truth it still great photos.

I wish I had another one.

Rather than change lenses and settings I have three cameras with a predetermined lenses and settings.

On the 20D I mount my 50mm 1.4 and have it set to time priority so that it stays above camera shake level. (100)

Then I use this for quick, up close, almost in our face shots and low low light shots.

That way it is just a quick pick up then back and forth to the other three bodies.

I still find that fumbling though the menu causes me to loose shots. So this works great for me.

The point is the 20D is a great body, and takes great photos, as does my 50d and 5d.

I wish I could find another 20d actually for when this one goes out.

20D 50d 5D they all take great photos. Buy what you can afford and try to have several bodies (50d x 3 = 1 x 5d) [id rather have 3 x 50d]

and spend more time on learning how to use them.

This is sort of like golf clubs, we still think we need a better machine, when the old one would would great if we spent more time training on it.

You could consider a used or refurbed 5D .... you would have full frame, high ISO, low noise, a few more pixels and less expensive than a 7D, Then keep your 30D for the 1.6 crop factor

Quote Originally Posted by peterborough_photography
    I shoot with a 5dmkii and a 7d and Im afraid to say the 5dmkii is more than a stop in real life stuations,

Acording to Bryan's noise crops it's about 1 1/3 stops, with another 1/3 between f/2.8 and f/4 that makes 2/3 stops. Also FF lenses are sharper than EF-s lenses at wider apertures apertures such as f/2.8 and requires less sharpening. Mabye thats what you are seeing.

John.

I owned the 7D for a short time, and the 5D II. In the situation you describe I would take the 5D II every time. The 7D only if I wanted to shoot some action shots, sporting events or wildlife.

For noise and ISO the 5D II handles it better than the 7D.

With the 7D you could consider it a low light camera because you have a pop up flash and it is "available light". That wasn't a serious statement.

So I would say 5D II given the description you gave.