Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandisk Memory Cards

Re: Sandisk Memory Cards

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I just tried to replicate the test without the lens cap. Yesterday I did the test with the 500mm, this morning I had the 70-200mm L II on. Interestingly, without the cap I got 53 frames in 20 seconds. With the cap on I still got 64. I repeated this four times and same results. I didn't time to burst rate specifically, but it seemed to burn through the burst faster without the lens cap on, but it had a harder time recovering, figure this one out :-/.

Brant

I retested, again this morning. This time I timed how long it takes to write the files. What I found is that to write the 64 files it took right at 29 seconds. It was hard to be exact, but it looks like I am getting 41MBs. I wonder how much this is slowed by camera settings such as shooting in different modes, noise reduction, highlight priority etc.......

I am curious now, since you have a higher rate with your scandisk and 7D, if the scandisk is writing faster than the Hoodman, or possiblythe 7D writing faster than the 1D IV or is it the settings in camera.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Different camera settings will affect burst rate. The 7D 18MP files are slighly larger than the MKIV 16MP files.

Is it possible that the files were smaller with the lens cap on so it would record more images, since there would be less information being recorded?

The Hoodman cards are very high quality so I doubt it's slower than the SanDisk. The longer writing times may have to do with noise reduction being applied?

I'm no expert on this stuff, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequila.

Rich

Brant

I retested, again this morning. This time I timed how long it takes to write the files. What I found is that to write the 64 files it took right at 29 seconds. It was hard to be exact, but it looks like I am getting 41MBs. I wonder how much this is slowed by camera settings such as shooting in different modes, noise reduction, highlight priority etc.......

I am curious now, since you have a higher rate with your scandisk and 7D, if the scandisk is writing faster than the Hoodman, or possiblythe 7D writing faster than the 1D IV or is it the settings in camera.

Rick,

I agree, it is a little tough to be precise. In looking at your numbers, it seems that your average file size was 18.6 MB. Assuming your buffer was full at 20 seconds, or 23 images, you had ~430 MB in your buffer that was cleared in 9 seconds, or at a rate of 47.5 MB/s, essentially what I have been getting. If this is at all correct, it makes me wonder if there are two things at play, the write rate which is probably best estimated by the time needed to clear the buffer and then write while shooting rate.

So if you are interested, we could run tests using the same methodology and settings and compare the results. Something like:

Test 1:
    • Manual mode, 1/100, f/5.6, ISO 100, no flash
    • High speed continuous shooting mode
    • Stop shooting at 20 seconds
    • Record number of shots fired in 20 seconds, total memory used, and time to write all files (based on the red LED)
    • Repeat twice

Test 2:
    • Same as above, but stop shooting at 3 seconds.

Is there anything other settings that may affect write speed? Let me know if you are interested. I don't have my camera with me, so I would be doing this test tonight.

Thanks,

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I'm no expert on this stuff, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequila

You know, the more suggestions you make like this, the better each one sounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

You know, the more suggestions you make like this, the better each one sounds......
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Nahh.., that's just the Tequila talking!

Rich

Rich

Tried this again. On the LCD it list the lens cap black pictures as 18.2 mb, with 1.14 gb showing on the card when I format it. Timing how long it took to write to disk it averaged between 40 and 41MBS.

Without the Lens Cap the files on the LCD said 23.9 mb, and in 20 seconds the card had 1.21 gb. This gives an average between 41 and 42MBS. So it appears the difference in number of shots is attributed to the amount of data processed.

If it were a little bit later in the day I would take the grain of salt and shot of Tequila and just forget this information, in the overall scheme of things it really just doesn't matter. But since Brant seems to be getting a faster rate out of the 7D I may mess with it a bit more later. More than likely I will go in to settings later and make sure there isn't something slowing it down. It is just an interesting puzzle to play with.

Rick

Brant

Since you are willing to test again..I would say all the other settings need to be disabled as well.

Highlight Priority

IS turned off

MF on

We could both do lens cap that we were shooting the same exact thing...black

Noise Reduction off

Maybe the same picture style, neutral maybe?

I am sure there some other settings as well. I will go through them later to see which jumps out at me.

<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);"]
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    <span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);"]Unfortunately, as of this morning those extra discounts seem to be gone at B&amp;H<span>- cart price is the same as browsing price. Glad I ordered last night!

You're right for only one card, but if you add 2 or more to the cart you still get the quantity discount.

Edit: Ooops, I see Richard Lane beat me to this, didn't notice his post before posting.
    - Trowski

We could both do lens cap that we were shooting the same exact thing...black

Rick,

That sounds good. I assume you mean Highlight Priority off......as for the lens cap, for the 3 sec test, I think it would be best to be able to shoot 8 fps so we can fill the buffer, which low light seems to inhibit. I'll probably do the tests with lens cap on and off. Also, reformatting disk in-between each set.

Brant

Brant

When you format, it tells you how much has been stored. I do not know if that is more accurate than counting the pics. For comparison purposes it should be somewhat accurate.

The only problem with the cap off is that the two sensors will be seeing different things. If were checking how fast the buffer fills, that should be obvious as it should be the same as what our burst indicates I would think. With the 1D IV showing 23, that would mean it kicks in at 418mb. At 10fps I was hitting the buffer at just over 3 seconds with the cap on. Without it I should hit the buffer at about 2.5 I would think.

Perhaps instead we shoot against a white surface?

Lets use the same lens, I see you have the 100mm IS L Macro, which I have as well.

We can use the settings you listed earlier.

I did mean Highlight tone priority turned off.

Rick

A white surface with the 100 mm L it is....