Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Landscape...

Very peaceful scene Brant....I like it a lot, but (unsolicited C&C) in PPing did you try to bring out the darks and shadows. These areas look too dark on my monitor and the pic, IMO, is losing some interesting details; e.g. reflection in water and seaweed along shore line. Ignore if this is just my monitor.

Bill

Looks like we have another situation like that black and white dress (which I see as baby blue and gold). ;-)

It's probably my monitor. I've often thought it was pretty bright in the shadows. I am on my phone, but if I recall, I've already lifted the shadows +50. But you are right, on my phone he shadows look way to dark. On my monitor there was subtle detail.

Just to add another data point, everything except the sky is really dark on my screen too.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Here are a couple sunset from recent weeks. Don't get as much time to get out and shoot since I started working again. Can't wait until the time changes again and the sunsets are a little later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    Very peaceful scene Brant....I like it a lot, but (unsolicited C&C) in PPing did you try to bring out the darks and shadows. These areas look too dark on my monitor and the pic, IMO, is losing some interesting details; e.g. reflection in water and seaweed along shore line. Ignore if this is just my monitor.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Just to add another data point, everything except the sky is really dark on my screen too.
    Thanks guys. I'll try to keep that in mind with my posts. It is an interesting thought that we each will be seeing a different image. I have heard one of the issues for the whole DRone crowd is that many monitors have significantly less DR (7-8 stops if memory serves) compared to our camera bodies (11-12 stops for Canon).

I've been adjusting for flickr sharpening my images (which sometimes translates to TDP, sometimes not). I sometimes like portions of my images being darker. While this is intended to be one of those images, I can see color and detail in every corner of the image on my screen. When I toggle looking for shadow clipping, only very small cracks and crevices in the foreground rocks are detected. Nothing in the rest of the image. The only issue I found was that when I converted it to jpg, I had limited the file size to < 192 KB. But, even the smaller jpg has that detail on my screen.

Two more from the trip (both 5DIII and 24-70 II):

@39 mm, 1/160, f/7.1, ISO 160

small-0136 by kayaker72, on Flickr

@24 mm, 1/60, f/8, ISO 100

small-0109 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing...Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-02-2015 at 06:13 PM.

It isn't enough to just buy a decent monitor. Calibration on a regular basis is a requirement to keep on top of things. When the monitor can no longer display sufficient range for you, usually a few years before they start to slide a bit, use it as a second monitor or give it to someone who it would be a step up for.

Reflections from last night

^^^Nice one, Jayson.
    Mark - Flickr

Thanks Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really a pleasure to see your sunsets shots lately Jayson. The last one has fantastic colors.

I didn't have much time to take pictures, but still had a two day trip in Switzerland, mainly around Luzern. I went to the top of the Rigi Kulm, a place i had never been to before. On a clear day, you can see most of the country from the top.

Queen of the mountains by Tounis_9, on Flickr