Thread: Reikan FoCal - Automatic AF Micro adjustment software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello, Hello---anyone out there

As suggested by Rich @ Reikan, I went through the procedure again and here is what I reported to Rich.

Rich, I went through the testing routine again with my Canon 7D and 500 F4L---and achieved the same inconsistent results. Here was my setup:

1. Camera and lens sitting on a granite counter top---on a concrete slab (I wanted to remove any chance of movement or vibration from a tripod).
    2. I ran the test with the target in both sunlight (ev 11.6) and shade (ev 9.5)
    3. I ran the test with the large target at 25 meters and 12 meters

I still had inconsistent runs and always rec'd the "inconsistent behavior" message on every run.

after 20 tests I had two readings that showed up the most often: +6 or 0. Since my own tests with a ruler and target normally indicate that I should be at a +5 to + 8, I decided to stick with the +6 reading.

If you want to see the debugging logs, please let me know how to retrieve and transmit them to you.

On a side note, I think this software you have developed is outstanding---if I can help test and provide you feedback I will gladly do so. Just let me know.
    Based on my findings to date I have concluded:

1. There is something wrong with the software when it comes to long lenses; or
    2. There is something wrong with my camera or lens.

Your comments are welcome.
    Bob

Bob;

Do you have access to another body you could test your 500 with? If you are concerned that there could be a problem with your camera or lens (or the combination) then running the FoCal program using a different body could eliminate one potential factor. Just a thought.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Bob;

Do you have access to another body you could test your 500 with? If you are concerned that there could be a problem with your camera or lens (or the combination) then running the FoCal program using a different body could eliminate one potential factor. Just a thought.

Stephen
    Unfortunately, I do not. But I do have a friend visiting this weekend and he owns a 500, maybe I can try his lens and see what happens. Since my camera seemed to worked perfectly with the shorter lenses, I doubt that the camera is the problem, unless it has something to do with the combo.
    Bob

Bob

Of course I don't have the software and am just living vicariously through you on this one. Since I have the 500mm I have some thoughts and these might be obvious to you, I know it is easy for me to overlook the easy stuff. On the 500mm I am sure you turned IS off. It also has the switch that changes from close distance to long. I would probably use the one that does the whole range but I wonder if this option creates a problem. There is the switch that saves your focus point; I would assume you had it turned off. The AF stop buttons on the lens, it’s been a while I do not remember if the 7D had the option or not to program theses, I would think if it does it should be set to AF stop which is default. In the 7D's settings for the AF system I would make sure it is set to the original default, not an expanded point option or something similar. Make sure your CPL is not in the lens. Lens hood on to keep stray light out.

I doubt it is your camera or lens, since you are using them now and they work fine.

I know these are obvious things, but if all the variables are removed from your equipment then the software may be the problem.

I am really hoping this one works out Bob. I like the idea of clicking the mouse and letting technology calibrate the camera. I think it is silly in today’s world of technology we buy an $8000 camera and lens set up and we have to calibrate it with cereal boxes, yardsticks, plumb bobs and tape measures.

@HD, I went through all of these things (several times) checking and rechecking. And..The software will tell you if you need to turn something on or off or it will automatically change to settings that it needs

I think it is silly in today’s world of technology we buy an $8000 camera and lens set up and we have to calibrate it with cereal boxes, yardsticks, plumb bobs and tape measures.
    I concur, thats why I was so enthusiastic about this software---but, Lets remember that this is the first public release, So i am sure that there are bugs that need to be worked out---I am still happy with the software---after all, it worked like a charm on my 50 1.2 and this lens is known to have some tricky focus issues. One thing I have thought about that be could affecting this:

When you have a long lens set up on a stable platform i.e. tripod, cabinet top etc, and go to live view X10, you can actually see the focus fade in and out ever so slightly---like there are heat waves rolling in front of the lens. This is much more noticable on long lenses than it is on the shorter ones. I am wondering if the software is having a hard time dealing with this? Just a thought.

I would love to know if others are having this problem with the software? or is it just me
    Bob