Hello, first post.
I have a Canon EOS 60D with a Canon 35mm/f2 prime and I'd like to add a super wide angle lens to my gear.

So far, the Canon EF-S 10-22mm/3.5-4.5 USM and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 have caught my attention.

With my 35mm prime I enjoy doing low-light photography and portraits, and I know these wide-angle lenses aren't meant to be used for these purposes, but then again there is no law that keeps you from trying it (I also plan on using it for its traditional purposes, though). Therefore, I currently lean towards the Tokina for its 2.8 aperture, but that's about the only thing that keeps me from going with the Canon model. I read the reviews on this site and found the sample pictures to be a little mushy and less sharp than the Canon's. Then again, a few were better. So the question for me is: Is the wider aperture an advantage at all if the general image quality is inferior to the Canon lens? I guess for landscape or architecture photography, both should perform well. I have also heard of focusing issues on some of the Tokinas, is that true? Can someone who owns either or both of the lenses nudge me in the right direction? Thanks so much. And if there is another alternative (that is similarly priced) then I'm open for suggestions!