Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MacBook Air VS MacBook Pro

Once you use a multitouch trackpad, you may never want to go back. When I connect my Air to an external monitor, I use a wireless kepboard and the wireless trackpad instead of a mouse.

John, we may be talking two different things. The touch pad on the lap top which I find to small and confining or the Magic Track pad that apple makes. Either way I prefer the mouse, maybe it is just all the years of using a mouse and I am too stubborn to change. Right now I am typing on my Dell laptop at work and using a mouse, external monitor and external keyboard. My way of thinking is, go with what feels good for you.

My real point with the mouse comment was more toward the Apple mouse not mouse vs. trackpad, IMO the Apple Mouse is junk. If the OP wants a mouse he might consider buying an aftermarket. (or not, I am sure some people love the Apple mouse)

After using my iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 a multitouch interaction is second nature. The fact that you can click without lifting your finger from the touchpad, click with two fingers for a different action and swipe with four fingers to change applications is just awesome. I can't wait to get the MacBook Pro. I'm even thinking about rebuilding my media center into a Hackintoch and getting a magic touchpad for it!
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

The track pad on the pro is great, I love all the gestures but there is one problem with it.
    When adjusting curves, it's not exactly the most accurate of tools. I find myself wiggling round the point I want for a while before it lands just right.
    Might just be me but it's something to consider when editing a batch

After much thought I ordered the 13.3" MacBook Pro with 500GB HD and in the same order I also got 8gb ram. My Amazon order totaled $1165.34 (no tax, free shipping). Much cheaper than getting the same setup from Apple, $1496.93 (with tax, in store pickup or free shipping).

Hopefully it'll be here before next Saturday!

On a side note, I've already got a copy of Office 07, the same version I use at work. So, I'm thinking about getting Parallels and running it that way. Anybody got any ideas on where I can get the cheapest copy of Windows Vista/7 for that use? $99 dollars for Windows 7 Home Premium seems to be the best deal I can find.
    Last edited by Jarhead5811; 04-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Great choice! I missed this discussion the first time around, but I am the happy owner of a 13" MBP (mid-2010 model). I love it. It has been a real workhorse. You were right to go with 8GB RAM, especially if you plan to use Apple Aperture, which runs dramatically faster with more than 4GB of RAM. Good luck.

Got it yesterday. I stayed up way too late messing with it. I've already got it backed up to a hard drive that's plugged into my AirPort Extreme. I've got access to all of my old media on my server. Which I thought would likely be a PITA but it was easy.