Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a smartphone with a camera or a camera with a phone? - 41-megapixel camera?

Pretty cool on paper!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    Certainly not in DSLR performance range.
    Maybe not, but most probably it will be in DSLR price range

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Maybe not, but most probably it will be in DSLR price range
    Speculation has it at €450.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Sensor is 1/1.2", so it's a 1.4µm pixel size similar to many mobile phones (but still smaller pixels than even the smallest P&S cameras with 1.6µm pixels). Having said that, the sensor itself is quite large, relatively speaking - it's bigger than the S100, bigger than Fuji's X-10, and getting close to the Nikon CX size.
    Yeah but with the 'oversampling' technology the pixel size would be similar to 7µm so in the DSLR range. I don't know if this was mentioned in the whitepaper or a in one of the interviews I watched.

In any case the technology seems very interesting and Nokia said that this will become standard tech in all their phones so eventually there will be Windows Phones with the same tech.

Here are a couple of links that explain the technology better and also a zip of some full resolution samples. This looks very interesting in my opinion and maybe finally we truly have a camera phone that will stand up to the claim that we have heard a million times: "soon we will have phones that are better than compacts".

http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Products/Phones/8000-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-amazing...sor-explained/
    http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...2/Archive2.zip

EDIT: The zooming in video modes seems awesome too (the end of last video): http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/n...play-41-megap/
    Last edited by qwRad; 02-27-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added comment about video zooming

At one time I was a Nokia fan. I bought a new Nokia and was talking while driving (bad boy), accidently slipped and dropped it out the window. At 50 miles an hour it bounced and came apart. I stopped and picked it up, put the parts that flew off back on and used it two more years.

The next three Nokia’s I had lasted about four or five months each before they fell apart.
    I am no longer a Nokia fan and it will not matter if they have 100mp cameras. They took advantage of their good name and started making junk.

I will keep my iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    At one time I was a Nokia fan. I bought a new Nokia and was talking while driving (bad boy), accidently slipped and dropped it out the window. At 50 miles an hour it bounced and came apart. I stopped and picked it up, put the parts that flew off back on and used it two more years.

The next three Nokia’s I had lasted about four or five months each before they fell apart.
    I am no longer a Nokia fan and it will not matter if they have 100mp cameras. They took advantage of their good name and started making junk.

I will keep my iphone.
    I have to agree here. I moved on to Android phones when Nokia fucked up their software (and hardware until the N9) after years of innovative and good phones :/

I still wouldn't suggest throwing your phones out of a driving vehicle

@John, 450€ seems like a cheap deal. Newer top-model phones easily sell for that amount of money. Anyway it is in the 1100D+18-55 range

Quote Originally Posted by qwRad View Post
    Yeah but with the 'oversampling' technology the pixel size would be similar to 7µm so in the DSLR range.
    "Oversampling technology" - I like it when manufacturers adapt terminology to sound better than what it really means. It's downsampling, not oversampling. Still, Nikon could take a page from their book to apply to the 36 MP D800 - "When 'oversampled' to the 12 MP resolution of the D700, image noise from the D800 becomes virtually invisible."

Nokia's white paper adds, "What’s more, based on Nyqvist theorem, you actually need oversampling for good performance." Nyqvist? Is their technological white paper referring to the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem postulated by Harry Nyquist, or to some random musings of Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, who was Mikael Blomkvist before Daniel Craig?

who was Mikael Blomkvist before Daniel Craig?

He really should just stick with being James Bond.

Nyqvist? Is their technological white paper referring to the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem postulated by Harry Nyquist, or to some random musings of Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, who was Mikael Blomkvist before Daniel Craig?
    Svedes sometimes svitch letters, ven writing quvick quvestions and vitty quvotations.

And so do the Vinnish?