Thread: NASCAR Advice Wanted

NASCAR Advice Wanted

I was just given tickets for the Samsung Mobile 500 at the Texas Motor Speedway for next week’s race. We will have pit passes as well.

I have never been to a NASCAR race so do not know what to expect.

I am thinking the 1D IV with the 300mm F/2.8L would be a wise choice, but will they let me in with it?

I was also thinking of taking the 70-200mm F/2.8L II for the pit pass.

Any one have experience with NASCAR? Any suggestions?

I do work at the local track on occassion (Langley Speedway). Its small and has lots viewpoints. Texas is a big arsed track and you should be able to bring in the 300 2.8, but depending on your seats, you might be shooting through the fence and will have lots of people standing infront of you during exciting (read crashes) parts of the race. Pit Pass will give you access to crews and the 70-200 or say 24-105 would get a good lens for the area. I think they are cold pit so no garage access and it will only be valid during pre race.

If you have pit access I'd also bring the widest glass you have for cool perspectives. I also think the 70-200 is a must have.

Thanks guys

The company that gave us the tickets had pictures from the seats from last year. I was interested in seeing them so I could tell what I would see unobstructed. I will be able to see the pits, incoming and outgoing corners without the fence blocking. Directly in front of the seats about 1/2 would be blocked by the chain link.

I was thinking about a wide lens to, but the weight of what I am carrying around has to stop somewhere. A few others that have been there told me to plan on doing allot of walking, but the weight of the 24mm or 35mm would be minimal. I am not sure which I should take, or maybe take the 16-35mm F/2.8 II? Ideally, I could possibly talk the wife in to carrying the 5D II with a wide lens attached, with the premise that she should be taking pictures to.

Talladega pitroad before race 11-1-09

Another pitroad from michigan 6-14-09

You can check out several races on photobucket under BLUESMAN56 as i put them there for my wifes friends to see,
    she is a bigger NASCAR fan than i am. Any pictures of Dale Earnhardt jr or the 88 car would be greatly appreciated for the wife.
    I would take the longest lense you've got for the race and a good walk around lense for closer shots on pit road. You will
    be very close to the pit boxes, crew and maby the cars on pitroad. If you have the right kind of pass it may let you in the garage
    area where they work on the cars, but if not sometimes you can get close enough to zoom in and get a few pics. If you have a
    fan experience pass they usually have several drivers do a meet & greet for about 15min each, here is one of kid rock.

Last 2 times i took my EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS for pitroad pics and such & EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS for in race pics as you
    need as long as you can get. Before that i used to take the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS & EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS + EF 1.4 Extender II.
    I just recently bought the EFS 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 and plan on taking it next race on may 6.