Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many not pixels in 6 month old camera body = warranty repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many not pixels in 6 month old camera body = warranty repair?

I have in effect 5 in an X shape 1/3 from the bottom just every so slightly to the left of center - anything dark and a sticks out like crazy and in video it is amazingly distracting.

Thoughts?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I sent my 7D back after about 3 months, it had about 10 dead pixels on it.
    They sent it back 3 weeks later, it still had 5 dead pixels, so i returned it again.
    3 weeks later, they sent it back, it still had a dead pixel, so i returned it again. (I could tell they'd taken test photos with it because the file numbering had changed, but they missed exactly where i'd told them it was)
    Another 3 weeks, and I finally got it back, was trying it out in the shop and the AF wouldn't work, on my lenses or the shop's. Thankfully I tried a "restore to factory defaults" and it worked again.
    But I was without my camera for about 2 months and a trip to Luxembourg, wasn't happy.

And now 1 year later i've got another 10 or so dead pixels that show up on anything iso1600, or >iso800&1/20s or >iso100&1s. Too bad it's out of warranty and i'm in the wrong hemisphere...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I have a 7D and have a lot of "dead" pixels (more than 10). I have always wondered if sunset shots (looking into the sun to long) or the long exposures that I like to do have made this worse. Like you, whenever I had a dark areas they would show up. It was getting irritating cleaning them up when I processed in dpp, but since I have been using LR this year, I do not even see them anymore because LR takes care of them automatically. Not being able to turn that feature off in LR was an irritation to Daniel (as stated in another post), but it has saved me a lot of time and I do not see the spots anymore... so I am good with it (although it does seem like something you should be able to turn on or off if you want).

As for having it repaired: From what I have heard, peoples success has been hit and miss, and then there is no gaurrentee that you will not get more in the future. I also wounder if there are a lot more people that have dead pixels and just do not know it because it is being cleaned up in their software. I bet there a lot more out there, and people would be freaking if they knew they had them (so maybe what they do not know will not hurt them).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

[QUOTE=conropl;67795]I have a 7D and have a lot of "dead" pixels (more than 10). I have always wondered if sunset shots (looking into the sun to long) or the long exposures that I like to do have made this worse. Like you, whenever I had a dark areas they would show up. It was getting irritating cleaning them up when I processed in dpp, but since I have been using LR this year, I do not even see them anymore because LR takes care of them automatically. [/QUOTE

Hi Pat. Where is the setting to remove hot pixels in LR? For long exposures I enable "Long Exposure NR" in my custom functions which does the trick very well. The trade off is, I have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds for the processing if my TV is, say, 25 second or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DLS View Post
    Hi Pat. Where is the setting to remove hot pixels in LR? For long exposures I enable "Long Exposure NR" in my custom functions which does the trick very well. The trade off is, I have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds for the processing if my TV is, say, 25 second or so.
    As cls said, it happens automatically. There is no turning it on or off (as far as I know). I notice it when I would open a raw image for the first time and I would see the dead/hot pixels only for a few seconds and then they disappere as the jpg preview gets fully loaded.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

My thoughts is:

It is under warranty, send it back and have them fix it. If it isn't fixed to your satisfaction send it back again. Also if they do a repair, the 1 year warranty restarts on the parts that were repaired (or so I was told by Canon when I sent my first 5D II in for warranty work and Canon repaired it).

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    My thoughts is:

It is under warranty, send it back and have them fix it. If it isn't fixed to your satisfaction send it back again. Also if they do a repair, the 1 year warranty restarts on the parts that were repaired (or so I was told by Canon when I sent my first 5D II in for warranty work and Canon repaired it).
    If it is under warranty, I guess it is hard to argue with HDNitehawk's logic (especially if you can afford to be without it for a while)
    flickr

Thanks, get back from my trip on Wednesday morning and it will be enroute to Canon Wednesday afternoon. A white dot in every frame does indeed make the camera useless - like a car w/o brakes - don't start something you know will end badly.

Well or something like a 10 mega pixel 24x9 panoramic?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Hi, LR automatically removes what it identifies as hot pixels. (I would like to have some manual control of this, but as far as I know there isn't. Luckily the full auto feature works fine.)

Have you tried the "secret" dead-pixel remapping feature? Every time you do a manual sensor clean (even if you don't actually clean the sensor) the DSLR will check for new dead pixels and update the secret list of dead pixels, so they can be interpolated out of the raw data before it is written to a file. To make the remap even more effective, run the camera in live view for a few minutes (or longer) to get the temperature of the sensor up.