Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3

Red face Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3

Just got my new camera plate today. Since there are no pictures of it online even from RRS, I thought I'd share a few. Enjoy!

Nice...

The bottom plate is nice, thanks for sharing!

I've seen images of the L-bracket, though, and there's a significant gap at the side - for cables, no doubt, but not sure I like that... Waiting to see what the 1D X L-brackets look like from RRS and Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The bottom plate is nice, thanks for sharing!

I've seen images of the L-bracket, though, and there's a significant gap at the side - for cables, no doubt, but not sure I like that... Waiting to see what the 1D X L-brackets look like from RRS and Kirk.
    I'm hoping that it'll be similar to the previous 1-series L-plates, which have lateral adjustability at the tripod mounting thread. Not sure why they didn't include that with the 5D3 plate, because it's a pretty ugly gap, I agree.

Lucky! I'm still waiting for the D800 L-bracket to come out. I think RRS is having a hard time getting ahold of a D800 body too.

ATTENTION!

After reading some other forums out there, it has come to my attention that the new B5D3 plate from RRS is not made correctly.
    The shelf between the flat portion of the plate and the anti-twist ledge is pressing against the body causing stress and has scuffed my camera body.
    Another note, due to this shelf, the camera isn't parallel to the camera plate.

I'd send the guys at RRS an email and have a chat to them about it. I've found them to be very helpful in the past. I'm sure they'll will do something to fix that issue up for you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Does it effect the security of holding the body? Not that bad of a scuff, easily fixed with some paint or polish....remind me to show you a shot of my 1DII body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum View Post
    Does it effect the security of holding the body? Not that bad of a scuff, easily fixed with some paint or polish....remind me to show you a shot of my 1DII body.
    The scuff isn't that bad right now because I've only had the plate mounted for a few days with no use. Imagine using this on and off a tripod with a heavy lens over and over again. It will eventually dig deeper into the body.

In terms of security, it still holds like a champ with no twist due to its design. I'd just rather have the camera body resting against the smooth edge vs. the corner of that shelf... grrrr...!

Quote Originally Posted by aZhu View Post
    The scuff isn't that bad right now because I've only had the plate mounted for a few days with no use. Imagine using this on and off a tripod with a heavy lens over and over again. It will eventually dig deeper into the body.
    If using a heavy lens with a tripod collar, it would be best to use a plate on the collar as opposed to mounting via the body, event metal mounts can take but so much stress.