Thread: How exactly to get T3i camera (grey) and a lens optimized for each other?

How exactly to get T3i camera (grey) and a lens optimized for each other?

I have a Canon T3i. No micro focus adjustment with that body. I was wondering a few things about lenses and adjustments.

1.) I bought the body on Amazon, and it was made in Japan, so does that make it "grey market"?

2.) I have a 17-55 lens (also from Amazon and made in Japan). I think it focuses ok, but if it didn't, could I take it to a camera store for adjustments? If not, where would I send the camera and lens to get "adjusted"? Surely not Japan?

3.) Also, lets say I go buy myself that new 70-200 2.8 IS II I have been talking myself into for about a month. If I get a Canon USA lens, could I send my Japanese body in with it to Canon USA to have the lens adjusted to the body? (or is it adjusting the body to the lens?)

This is my first DSLR, and when I was going thru the list of must-haves, I must admit "microfocus adjustment" didn't enter into it. But now that I am considering a lens that costs 4x what the camera body did, I am beginning to worry a bit. I hear about people having "soft " lenses and sending them back repeatedly, when some people say it was probably just needing to be adjusted to the camera.

If you bought directly from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller), it's not grey market. Any 3rd party vendor selling on Amazon *should* disclose that as well. "Made in Japan" is normal - all EF-S 17-55mm lenses are made there, and some Rebel bodies are as well (some are made in Taiwan as well). Check your boxes - if there's a Canon USA warranty card in there, it's 'official'. I've purchased plenty of Canon products from Amazon, all with proper papers. Also, Canon service in the US generally honors grey market items if you have proof of purchase from an Authorized Canon dealer (which Amazon is).

As for the adjustment, you'd need to send lens (and possibly body) into Canon for that. Call them first.

Ahhh. Yes!

I do have a warranty card (Cannon USA) for both the lens and the camera. Thanks for the insight.

Is the "modification" just a software thing they do, or are they doing something physically to the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Is the "modification" just a software thing they do, or are they doing something physically to the lens?
    It's a hardware modification (changing electrical contact positions in the AF system).

Scott, I have that exact set up 17-55 and 70-200 II. Yep, camera body is something to attach expense glass to. Even a 5dii body would be less than than the 24-70 and 70-200 combo.

I went w/ the 3ti as I don't need the frames per second that the 7d offered and I didn't see enough value diff between the 3ti and the 60d.

I am "new again" to photo - lots of film experience - 6 mos of digital now. I didn't want to spend $$$ on the 7d or 5dII if my re-entry was more of a atmospheric skip in orbital vernacular.

I have been having a hoot and holler w/ all the increased functions compared to film bodies from... well a long time ago.

I am really having a kick w/ the video stuff - I had reason to shoot some rather long shot video w/ the 70-200, it was just amazing.

I am just having a kick w/ the capabilities - hot pixel not withstanding.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911