Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "...You must have a really great camera!"

I hear the "You must have a really great camera" comment all the time. I just smile and reply, "Actually, my secret is that I belong to a really great forum."

Haha oh I can relate to pretty much all of the things in this topic Most are probably quite harmless and a bad choice of words or just a lack of knowledge. If it's not, it's still just what I keep telling myself so I feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I cannot tell you how many times I hear something like, "Wow, those are fantastic images. You must have a really great camera
    Well I've also seen this one the other side around as well: "I have a great camera so my images are obviously fantastic." The P for professional mode is a good example of that. I even know a starting photographer(not really good) that charges direct family for shots that I'd consider "free modeling and practicing" shoots.

Luckily most of the feedback I get(if I get some) is positive, but sometimes I have some weird comments of people who have higher standards than I do I guess.

For example: I took photos of the Dutch Youth Figure Skating National Championships. I was invited as the only photographer who was there for the entire day.(not that weird because it was the first time I've seen that bad indoor lighting...ISO6400 and still pushing it to get some results)
    Anyway, I was there on a voluntary base. Traveled an hour to get there(on my own cost). Took photos the entire day for free. Show the photos on my website and when people are interested I email them a 3000*2000p image(s) of their selves for free. My motto is that I take photos of people, for the people. Free photos at a National Championship is something that is probably done only by a crazy person like me

I had dozens of interested people and I noticed there where quite a few people "demanding" photos. No thank you for the photos, nothing at all. Just an email with: I want that and that photo.
    1 woman complained that the FREE images I send her (6MP) were too small.... She probably has a test model of the new 36,4" 4K Eizo monitor
    And 1 guy dared to ask me all the photos of his club so he could show them on their website and (like they did with all the other photos on there) most probably sell them to the players their selves.

In my time of doing hobby photography for free I've never had such crazy requests. I have done quite a few of different types of sports-photography. For some I get more responses than for others, but until this time I have had 99.9% positive reactions. I probably don't have to explain that I was pretty fed up this time. Good thing I had a nice event this eastern weekend There's always something better coming your way I guess

Sean, You are not the only would that has experienced, trust me
    OK, No more posts this early in the morning.
    Last edited by bob williams; 04-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When people ask me how my camera is capable of making such great photos, I let them in on the secret: "Most cameras only go to ten. But *this* one is unique. Let's say you're on ten on your camera and you're shooting at ten, but you need that extra push over the cliff... you know what I do? I put it up to eleven. One better."
    I will never tire of "This is Spinal Tap" quotes....especially that one!

That and:

"a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why."

"Wow, those are fantastic images. You must have a really great camera!"
    So, to Sean and all of his loyal followers (me included), what can you say to this that vindicates photographers worldwide?
    Bob

Unhappy

"You must have a really great camera!"

Well I'm afraid I must agree with that statement, "If it wasn't for the brilliance of Canon, I wouldn't have any good pictures at all!"
    Last edited by Raid; 04-13-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    "You must have a really great camera!"

Well I'm afraid I must agree with that statement, "If it wasn't for the brilliance of Canon, I would have any good pictures at all!"
    Thats good Raid, I like it.

Here's one:

Your right, This camera has over a million setting combinations, it even has a self destruct mode for secret work---Wanna try it?
    Bob

Actually I'm just really good at Photoshop. And with some of the new tools in CS6, you don't even have to hit your focus. Everyone will be a snapshot hero.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    So, to Sean and all of his loyal followers (me included), what can you say to this that vindicates photographers worldwide?
    Honestly, I usually pull up a very complicated lighting setup picture and say, "Yeah, I do have a really good camera. I also have a mobile studio, and that helps to."

Yep. It pretty much takes the pictures by itself. *walk away*

(sarcasm wins)