Hi !
    I am New and I need one information
    I have CANON 550D
    I want to by one 70-200 f/4
    Somebody can help me
    The deference about IS or not IS
    I use the lens for my travel
    Sorry my english

I have the 70-200 F4 IS. It is a great lens for travel because of its sharpness, light weight, and range. It can produce nice bokeh focused to closer objects at the long end. The contrast is excellent.

The IS version is weather sealed unlike the non-IS
    The IS version is generally sharper at most lengths and focal ratios.
    It has IS (obviously) which is awfully nice for handholding with an F4 lens.
    The IS version weighs only a little more.

As a travel lens, the 70-200 F4L IS USM is hard to beat.

You might also want to look into the 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM too. It offers mostly similar performance but with 100mm more at the long end. It costs more, but is another great choice for a travel lens due to fairly light weight and compact dimensions for an L series lens.

Just for clarification, the term "IS" stands for "Image Stabilization." A lens with image stabilization technology can correct for small movements introduced by the photographer when using slow shutter speeds.

Just to add to Mikeinminn's already great info.

I also have the lens (with IS) and in addition to the uses Mike suggested, I also found it to be a very good portrait lens. It doesn't produce as much out of focus blur as a prime portrait lens of course or as the F/2.8 version of the lens would, but for the price it does a very good job.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    I agree with all the points stated above as I also have the IS version. When compared to my friend's non IS, my images are slightly sharper..but both lens are good lenses, and IS come in handy when you need it for shooting stills in low light situations. With the 550D the crop factor will make it a bit of a longer lens (about 112mm to 320mm full frame equiv), and it can also make a good 'macro' lens when zoomed in and at the closest focus distance.
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/