Thread: Question on the video functions of Canon SLRs

Question on the video functions of Canon SLRs

I moved up from a 40D to a 7D recently and am not sure if this is by design or if I'm doing something wrong. I have the AF set to auto, however when I walk around with the video option, it does not automatically focus on whatever it is that I'm trying to record. I'm use to the Powershot's video recorder as it auto-focuses.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
    --

Canon SLRs do not autofocus while recording video. Several Nikon SLRs have the feature, but we've yet to see it in Canon's.

EDIT: It looks like I was incorrect. Reading up on Canon's Learning Center, I found:

AF modes are:

Quick Mode AF:
    By far the fastest and most positive option for AF, especially in low-light situations, or with subjects that don’t have a lot of detail. It’s the only AF mode for video that uses the camera’s 9-point AF system and dedicated AF sensor. However, it does require interrupting live viewing to perform, and it cannot be used at all during actual recording.

Live Mode AF:
    This AF method reads focus off the imaging sensor, so there’s no interruption of live viewing. It’s not as rapid and positive as Quick Mode AF, but in a pinch, it can be used during actual recording — although it’s best-used to pre-focus before recording begins. Live Mode AF cannot focus-track moving subjects.

Live Face Detect AF:
    This method is similar to Live Mode AF, but is able to recognize human faces in a scene, and will target the nearest (or largest) face it detects to focus upon. If no faces are visible, it reverts to Live Mode, with a central white rectangle as its focus target (this can be moved around most of the picture area if desired). Again, it cannot focus-track moving subjects. Unlike when shooting still images, there is no AI Servo AF capability.

AF is always activated on the EOS 5D Mark II with the rear AF-ON button. Pressing half-way down on the shutter button will not engage AF, unlike some other EOS models.
    Hmm....So basically, there is autofocus, but no tracking. So, really, the autofocus isn't terribly useful if it cannot track subjects. It's just as easy to prefocus before recording.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 04-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.

You have to half-press the shutter button to focus during video. Depending on your AF settings, it can be painfully slow, and noisy. Exposure might also go up and down during the process. It is nothing like what we are used to on a point and shoot or camcorder.

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    You have to half-press the shutter button to focus during video. Depending on your AF settings, it can be painfully slow, and noisy. Exposure might also go up and down during the process. It is nothing like what we are used to on a point and shoot or camcorder.

Arnt
    That's what I thought. My wife is going to be dissapointed as she wants a T4i and has a powershot.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    That's what I thought. My wife is going to be dissapointed as she wants a T4i and has a powershot.
    We'll see what the T4i offers. I think a lot of users want the same

Perhaps the T4i will incorporate many of the features found in Magic Lantern (ML). ML is an absolute for anyone wanting to shoot video w/ the t2i/t3i/60d/5d/5dII - for some reason I don't think it hasn't been ported to the 7d. Perhaps someone will undertake the effort - can it be that much different from the 60d???

There would be an interesting feature collision/overlap between the next T4i and the 60d/7d line up. I could see something more bent to video??? as a point of differentiation?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    for some reason I don't think it hasn't been ported to the 7d. Perhaps someone will undertake the effort - can it be that much different from the 60d???
    I thought it had something to do with the Dual Digic Processors in the 7D, makes it much harder (although shouldn't be impossible) to hack the firmware to put on Magic Lantern.
    Or maybe I'm wrong, is there ML for a 1D/1Ds body? (they all/mostly have Dual Digics I thought?)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos