Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    And if it goes to IKEA, insist that the name translates pleasantly into English, and not something malphonic like "Kraamp" or whatever my last IKEA desk or bookshelf was called!
    LOL! I will most definitely make sure of that!

I told him I don't want him to do something like this for me but he said it would be a business investment for him.
    From what you have said, I think this is his way of making his help easy to accept.

What if he pays to have all these different items printed & done up and they don't sell!
    Ask him the question. See if he is willing to bear that risk. If I had this deal with a friend I would work twice as hard to make it work. It may be hard to sell prints, or it may not, but you never know.

And if (and that's a big IF) any of them do, what percentage of the profits would be a fair amount to give him for doing all of this for me?
    The two of you need to agree on this before you start. I would think if it were a real investment he would want half. I think you will find out how much of the offer is friendship and how much is business from the response you get from him on this one.

I don't know if I should do this! Since I started photography as a hobby
    This is exactly why you should do it. Think of it this way, photography is still a hobby. You have just extended your hobby to another level. If you work all day selling prints, make enough to pay your friend back and then make 75 cents an hour for your time, thats just a little bonus back from a hobby you enjoy. You go home with the satisfaction that the prints you sold are on someones wall now. If you really make anything it is a big bonus.

Last bit of advice. He is a friend, you are right that business relationships destroy friendships. Talk this over in detail with him, and make sure you will be comfortable with it. A friend that would help you like this, is not a friendsip that you would want to destroy over a bad deal.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 04-28-2012 at 04:14 AM.

+1 on yes go for it

Denise,

I still think you should go for it. I would work up a couple of different ideas as to what this could look like, associated budgets and present them to your friend. Two quick thoughts:

One way to minimize up front investment is "Go High End": Don't have 50 prints of the same photo in different sizes. Make things seem more exclusive. Pick 20 of your favorite prints. Print each only once or twice (or maybe once per size). But create a sense of exclusivity, that if they don't buy it it now it could be gone. Pick your most "artsie" prints, and pick printing styles with some flair. In other words, sell art, not pictures. BTW, art is expensive. I wouldn't be thinking "%" mark ups, I would be thinking 2-3x the cost mark ups.

The other thought would be to have a service associated with your booth. At least in New England, lots of mother/daughters, friends go to these fairs..it is often an "event". Have a mini studio set up where you could take a picture of their group and have the prints delivered. Capture their moment. If you are worried about charging for the service, set it up where you have a laptop there and they only be charged if they like the photo and order prints/jpg file.

Just some thoughts...but it sounds like a good opportunity to me.

Good luck,
    Brant

Denise; I think Brant described a good model for you. Sell art not pictures.

Hi Denise, limited numbers and higher prices work very well for established photographers and may be a way to recoup the expense of your firends investment.
    I went to an exhibition of photos by Nick Brandt yesterday http://www.nickbrandt.com/ for ten years he has been going to Africa and has 94 shots to his credit.

The eighth and last copy of this print http://www.nickbrandt.com/portfolio....&nS=0&i=176193 just sold for $150 000, so limited quantities and high prices are working well for him.

Go for it, they all started somewhere. You have artistic talent and deserve a break, do it.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Hi Denise, limited numbers and higher prices work very well for established photographers and may be a way to recoup the expense of your firends investment.
    I went to an exhibition of photos by Nick Brandt yesterday http://www.nickbrandt.com/ for ten years he has been going to Africa and has 94 shots to his credit.

The eighth and last copy of this print http://www.nickbrandt.com/portfolio....&nS=0&i=176193 just sold for $150 000, so limited quantities and high prices are working well for him.
    $150,000 WOW! His work is fantastic though so I can see why they would go for such high prices!

Work out the details with your friend. If you believe your friendship will survive this arrangement (and I see no reason it wouldn't), then go for it. You're at the party, the music is playing, you have a partner waiting, all you have to do is dance. Don't hold yourself back.

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    Don't hold yourself back.
    Ditto
    Mark

hi Denise,

I'd say you go for it. It may be that big break you need to turn PRO. It's like you said, if he's a TRUE friend, there should not be any problems if things don't work out. remember also that he was the one who offered to do this for you and NOT the other way around. So with this in mind I really don't see any reason why it should strain your friendship if things don't work out.

james