Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I or shouldn't I??

Should I or shouldn't I??

Hi All -

I have a dilemma (once again) that I hope I can get some advice on. Since I have been unemployed for seven months now and things are really looking pretty grim, an old friend of mine has made me an offer. He is willing to pay to have a number of my photos printed on canvas wraps, etc. for me to display at upcoming local outdoor art fairs, etc. to help get me to launch a photography career. I told him I don't want him to do something like this for me but he said it would be a business investment for him.

I don't know if I should do this! Since I started photography as a hobby, I have only printed and sold one canvas wrap. What if he pays to have all these different items printed & done up and they don't sell! And if (and that's a big IF) any of them do, what percentage of the profits would be a fair amount to give him for doing all of this for me? It will take a large amount of prints to fill some of the display tents that I have seen other artists fill! This would have to be him fronting the entire thing because heck I don't have the cash to get one 5 x 7 printed! In fact, I just posted 4 lenses for sale last night including my tele's!

I don't know, I think I should pass on this extremely generous offer ...but then I have this little voice telling me I really don't have a choice at this point since I'm not finding an office position! Geez, now I'm hearing little voices ...LOL!

Denise

Your friend evidently sees something in you and your skills that he wants to be more invested in. I admire your work tremendously and think you have great talent, as well.

I doubt your friend would have made the offer if he did not see an opportunity for BOTH of you. Don't let the "little voices" drive you crazy or hold you back.

If the friendship is strong, then go for it.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

This may sound a little odd, but if your friend is a genuine good person, I highly recommend that you do it. My only hesitation is that I think you should just do an assessment of the person themselves and their motivations. If that is all good and there are no strings attached (other than the obvious repayment). Do it. A quick guess, but this is likely a very good person that can afford to put some "good out there." Let them put good out there and you never know what is going to come back around.

Go for it.
    If I had a friend like that and she was willing to back me like that I would jump at it. My wife would be a little bit more cautious and tell to find out what she wanted first. I would tell her not to worry and I would handle it. LoL.
    This appears a generous offer Denise and you should just ask them what they want in return from potential sales. You definitely have the talent and the portfolio to cover such an investment by a friend. All you need is a "break."
    And this appears to be it.
    Even with friends it is best to record on paper what liabilities each party are up for initially and the liabilities and benefits from subsequent sales.
    On a personal level, this is something that was probably not on your radar and the benefit from exposure and marketing for your art will be a priceless investment in your future.
    It may be best to limit the input and investment of your friend to this one showing and see how it goes. No loose ends at the conclusion, perhaps handover whatever are an appropriate amount of prints that do not sell to him to cover his expenses.
    A lot of things to consider, but definitely a worthwhile endeavour.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    This may sound a little odd, but if your friend is a genuine good person, I highly recommend that you do it. My only hesitation is that I think you should just do an assessment of the person themselves and their motivations. If that is all good and there are no strings attached (other than the obvious repayment). Do it. A quick guess, but this is likely a very good person that can afford to put some "good out there." Let them put good out there and you never know what is going to come back around.
    No, there are definitely no strings attached! He was my boss for 18 yrs. and a very dear friend! I quit the company we worked for about 6 yrs. ago and recently got laid off from the company I went to work for afterwards. Since the two companies did business together, we just always stayed in touch and he would call every now and then to see how I am doing or to buy me lunch. He is extremely well set financially and I am confident that this is just someone trying to help a friend out without making it look like charity. I think he is also trying to find a way to build my confidence back in me. At my age when you get laid off and can't find work, it gets to be about alot more than just the job that's lost.

Another point that I was just thinking about though ...it isn't good to mix business with friendship anyway.

Another little voice here, YES! Your images have been in popular photography, and we all have commented on them. They are pro quality. They will sell, have faith. I am not sure what is a fair %age. I have never done this myself. Hope someone else here can advise on that.
    You will need to post a photo of the display tent with all of your work on display. We will be very interested to see.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I just posted 4 lenses for sale last night including my tele's!

Denise
    Must not have been posted here. I have not seen you post.
    Mark

Ahhhh, C'mon Denise-----Just Do It!!!!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Must not have been posted here. I have not seen you post.
    No, I posted them on FM. I figured most everyone here either owns them already or has the super or the new and improved versions!

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Another little voice here, YES! Your images have been in popular photography, and we all have commented on them. They are pro quality. They will sell, have faith. I am not sure what is a fair %age. I have never done this myself. Hope someone else here can advise on that.
    You will need to post a photo of the display tent with all of your work on display. We will be very interested to see.
    Thanks, Mark! Lots to think about!