Thread: Sell for a 70-200 II?

Sell for a 70-200 II?

Hey guys,

I'm currently working with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS I and a 100-400. I'm mostly doing portrait photography and occasionally sports as well. However, lately I've been needing to shoot at 2.8 for various indoor events. Since my primary focus is event and portrait photography, would it make sense to sell both the 70-200 and the 100-400 for the new 70-200 II? I've developed the nasty habit of pixel peeping, and I know the 70-200 II is wicked sharp wide open, whereas I find the 70-200 I lacking.

The plan I came up with was sell both the 70-200 I and the 100-400 for the 70-200 II and then pick up a 2x III TC to make up for the lost focal length. I've heard the 70-200 II works really well with the new TCs.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

LOL ...I just posted my 70-200mm f4 IS, my 100-400mm and my 200mm f2.8L II last night and plan to get a used 70-200mm f2.8 II and 2x III! I am hoping it will still keep me able to shoot birds and other wildlife and the dogs and grandkids. It will give me less lenses to lug around and hopefully leave me with $ in my wallet!

So, I can't answer your question from experience but I am keeping my fingers crossed the combo will work out well once my lenses sell!

Good luck with your decision! I am curious to see how others respond to your post!

Denise

It is hard to not recommend the vII over the original.

The big question to ask yourself is whether it really is needed for your application. In the event shots that you are taking is there a noticeable softness that detracts from the image in your prints that is traceable to the lenses you have? Is the focus system of your lenses slow enough that you are losing shots as a result?

If you picked up the 300 f4 or f2.8 and a 1.4x TC would that be a viable alternative to the 100-400 for covering the long end? Perhaps you do prefer the framing versatility of the zoom? What is the minimum aperture that works for you in the lighting conditions you have been working in? Do keep in mind that 1.4 adds 1 stop, 2x adds 2 stops.

70-200 v2 does work quite nicely with the 1.4x TC. With the 2x TC it is a split crowd. Some are very pleased with the results, others not so much. For me, I find that it is quite acceptable with objects that are relatively close and I just want to fill more of the frame. Even stopped down to f8, there is still softness and mild purple and green fringing that starts mid-frame and becomes more evident towards the corners. When the subject fills most of the frame, there is enough detail retained after processing to satisfy me. Given the choice I'd rather use another lens that will give better results in the camera and less post processing on the long end.
    Last edited by jrw; 04-28-2012 at 02:56 AM.