Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Monolights:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Have four and love them! I would not hesitate to own an AlienBee or a White Lightning either though. The fluctuations in Kelvin in the AlienBee line are quoted to be around 200 degrees. That's really not that big of a deal. The spec on the Einstein is about 50 degrees.

David Hobby over at www.strobist.com estimates the 580EX to be at around 60 watt seconds. The reason why the 580 has a guide number of 190 is because it's measured at its tightest zoom of 105mm. The standard reflector on an AlienBee has a spread of about 80 degrees which is probably much closer to 24mm of zoom on a 580. The fastest duration on an Einstein though is 1/13,000 which can easily be beat by a 580. 1/13,000 isn't too shabby though :-)
    Thanks Mark, That explains a lot
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    For me, I love Paul C. Buff monolights. In fact, I have to pay more when buying from them because their facility is in TN (so I have to pay sales tax). That has never stopped me. For the money you pay, in my opinion, you simply can't get better products.
    I checked the price and both th Einstein and Alien Bees and they seem to be very reasonably priced for what your getting---That, along with thier appearant reputation and satisfaction seems to make both a pretty good deal.

Thanks Sean.
    Bob

David Hobby over at www.strobist.com estimates the 580EX to be at around 60 watt seconds. The reason why the 580 has a guide number of 190 is because it's measured at its tightest zoom of 105mm. The standard reflector on an AlienBee has a spread of about 80 degrees which is probably much closer to 24mm of zoom on a 580. The fastest duration on an Einstein though is 1/13,000 which can easily be beat by a 580. 1/13,000 isn't too shabby though :-)
    As I said before, Thanks Mark. Also, after trying to learn some more about how to compare light output of different units, I ran across this article on the PCB website. It was very informative, but still left me wondering how a newby is to determine the "best tool for the job" when the various power ratings and other specs are mostly marketing hype. Well, word of mouth and satisfaction of current users usually leads me in a good direction, so I will stick to that for the moment; at least until someone mandates a rationale standard that must be used by all manufacturers. Even so, This was a good read for anyone that uses or is planning to use monolights or powerpack lights.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    As I said before, Thanks Mark. Also, after trying to learn some more about how to compare light output of different units, I ran across this article on the PCB website. It was very informative, but still left me wondering how a newby is to determine the "best tool for the job" when the various power ratings and other specs are mostly marketing hype. Well, word of mouth and satisfaction of current users usually leads me in a good direction, so I will stick to that for the moment; at least until someone mandates a rationale standard that must be used by all manufacturers. Even so, This was a good read for anyone that uses or is planning to use monolights or powerpack lights.
    I totally agree Bob. Nikon measures their GN at 35mm (I think) so it would be hard to compare them to Canon. People's tests show them to be fairly comparable though. In duration alone Speedlites will almost always win but it's all about the right tool for the job.

Hello, does anyone have experience with the portable power supply that Paul Bluff offers? It's the Vagabond. Lithium batteries. It looks like it would do a good job for powering a strobe when out in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Hello, does anyone have experience with the portable power supply that Paul Bluff offers? It's the Vagabond. Lithium batteries. It looks like it would do a good job for powering a strobe when out in the wilderness.
    Yes, I have two of them and I think they are fantastic. You can get a lot of pops out of a single charge and at 1/2 power and below the recycle times are excellent.

I wish I could plug a Speedlite into one.

Yes, I have two of them and I think they are fantastic. You can get a lot of pops out of a single charge and at 1/2 power and below the recycle times are excellent.

I wish I could plug a Speedlite into one.
    Thanks, Mark. Based on your experience, I ordered one (for now) and an extra battery. I'm really pumped to try this!

My next question is to Sean. Sean, it looks as if you've done a lot of outdoor portraiture. You said you use 2-3 monolights per shoot. I have used a Speedlite for fill flash, but what would you recommend for a single mono light, as an alternative to multiple lights? A beauty dish, as Bob is suggesting? A small soft box? I would like to stick to one light, just to use as a fill flash, to remove shadows and give a little catch-light in the eyes. I have several Pocket Wizards (ETTL types). I would use those to trigger the light. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Thanks, Mark. Based on your experience, I ordered one (for now) and an extra battery. I'm really pumped to try this!

My next question is to Sean. Sean, it looks as if you've done a lot of outdoor portraiture. You said you use 2-3 monolights per shoot. I have used a Speedlite for fill flash, but what would you recommend for a single mono light, as an alternative to multiple lights? A beauty dish, as Bob is suggesting? A small soft box? I would like to stick to one light, just to use as a fill flash, to remove shadows and give a little catch-light in the eyes. I have several Pocket Wizards (ETTL types). I would use those to trigger the light. Thanks a lot.
    Hmm...if I had to pick one modifier, eh? That's actually kind of tough. However, if you're indeed just wanting to fill in shadows (and you're only using one monolight), I'd suggest an extreme silver 63" PLM (for its effiency) coupled with the front diffusion cover. That is a fantastic modifier for a very reasonable price. The only problem is you'll want some sandbags to weigh it down as it will become a wind sail under relaitvely light winds.

And when you need more pop than the PLM with the diffusion cover can give you, you can take the cover off and use the PLM bare. However, I'd suggest investing in some gels to warm up the light just a bit as (personally speaking) I'm not a fan of the cool color-toned light coming from an unmodified Extreme Silver plm.

I have a very large softbox that rarely gets used because I purchased the 63" Extreme Silver PLM with a diffusion cover. It's easy to set up, is quite efficient, and just provides great results.

+1

+10 on sandbags 😊

+10 on sandbags
    Sean, yes, indeed, that would likely be a sail. I'm imagining Mary Poppins right now.

Mark, are those the number of sandbags I'll need, or should I use more??