Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need an afforable macro lens - Advice Please

Sean, that is VERY impressive considering it was taken with 3 tubes and a TC @ f/32!! I tried yesterday with just one tube and my 70-200mm f4 IS on a couple flowers and lost some detail.

Well, here's the latest update on my macro lens saga ...

I sold the lens on the 29th but found out today the $ won't be available until the 8th after first trying paypal & finding out he didn't have the pp funds and then Chase QuickPay and then found out he wasn't even set-up and I'd have to wait for the set-up process. So, this morning I told the guy to forget it. I missed out on a few used macro lenses waiting and I can't shoot with this one in case something were to happen to it. Plus, I've been waiting a week for funds from a guy for my 70-200mm. Stress is high, patience with people is running low!

I'm going to hang on to my 100mm IS for alittle while longer while I practice my Kenko tube skills on the lenses I have left. Since I sold my fav Sigma 85mm last week, I can wait a bit longer on the selling of the macro. Too many lens sales in one week = deep depression anyway!

If my Kenko tube skills don't improve, I decided to either purchase a 100mm non-is or go back to the Sigma 70mm. At least I narrowed it down to the two.

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions and input! I received a great deal of helpful information even about diffraction, reading charts and lenses in general.

Denise

My wife's taken an interest in macro and she just ordered the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro. I'll use it too and will post if I get some good images.

Dave

I sold my 100L and have another macro coming tomorrow. I decided on another copy of the Sigma 70mm. I had it before and was happy enough with the results ...once I get passed the lack of speed and the noise!

I was 99% sure I was going to end up keeping the 100L but a few nights ago I went through many photos looking for all of my macro shots with the 100L and the 70mm and realized I really don't shoot macro all that often to justify having a $1000 lens to do it. Granted, the 100L is good for more than just macro, but I have other lenses for non-macro shots also ...so, I let it go.

Edit: BTW - I am still very interested in seeing those shots with the 60mm because I was real close on getting that one!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 05-10-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    In and of itself it is just how the lens is constructed. The IS version is an L lens, so theoretically much more went in to its design. Really it doesn't tell you it will have better or worse IQ because a lens with the same elements and groups could be improperly made or designed.

Not to make sellers remorse for you, but yes the IQ of the 100mm IS L is better than the 100mm non L's. The L version is a newer lens, and has the new coatings Canon started putting on lenses with the release of the 24L II. The charts show the L version to be better, and the ISO charts show it to be better.

Keep this in mind though; in the real world the difference in IQ is very fractional. Only when you pixel peep the fine detail would you probably notice.

As for your loss of IS, do you still have your macro flash? You could still chase the very small critters.
    Well, the latest upate on my macro lens issue is that I received the Sigma 70mm yesterday and am returning it today. It didn't focus as well as the copy I had before and it was the old Sigma finish (ewwww) so I am still in need of a macro lens! And, I am still really torn on my decision of whether to get yet another 70mm or a different macro all together. I see Canon refurb's site has the 100mm non-L, non-IS lens in stock but I do not still have my macro flash and I guess I am worried about what was mentioned that the IQ is not as good. I'm sorry for being so indecisive on this but once you've gone "L" it is really, really hard to downgrade and accept the downgrade without constantly being critical of the results from the non-L, non-Canon consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Well, the latest upate on my macro lens issue is that I received the Sigma 70mm yesterday and am returning it today. It didn't focus as well as the copy I had before and it was the old Sigma finish (ewwww) so I am still in need of a macro lens! And, I am still really torn on my decision of whether to get yet another 70mm or a different macro all together. I see Canon refurb's site has the 100mm non-L, non-IS lens in stock but I do not still have my macro flash and I guess I am worried about what was mentioned that the IQ is not as good. I'm sorry for being so indecisive on this but once you've gone "L" it is really, really hard to downgrade and accept the downgrade without constantly being critical of the results from the non-L, non-Canon consolation prize.
    The image quality diffrence with the 100mm Canon's is there if you look wide open, if you stop it down though I don't think you will see any. Most of my Macro shots are F8 or better, I don't think I would notice.

I don't think any of the lenses you mentioned will live up to the memory of the 100mm L IS.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    For what it's worth. I started with the 100mm non-L macro, then upgraded to the L-lens. Now I don't have any of the two, because just for the macro-work the L lens wasn't justifiable to me.
    I have used both lenses a fair amount of time and I never got the results with the L-lens that I got with the non-L lens for some reason. You will not notice any difference in image quality. Well perhaps wide open and pixel peeping, but in real life normal use(no scientific hobby work) you simply won't. The only thing you'll notice is the IS on the L-lens, which is nice but no necessity and also the shape of the barrel, which is just a little more comfortable in the hand. And perhaps the weathersealing if you're adventurous. However none of those really matter to me for macro shots so if I'd have to buy a macro lens again it would be the non-L lens.
    I also have had the macro ringflash, but I still prefer a normal 430 or 580 flash on a flash bracket over it.
    What I do like about the 100mm is the working distance. I think a shorter lens with less working distance would not be a good option for me and would make it even harder to get great shots.

Denise,

I've got a 60mm 2.8 macro that I am gonna be putting on the market soon. (can't use it with the 5D3). Holler if you think that may fit your needs.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    Denise,

I've got a 60mm 2.8 macro that I am gonna be putting on the market soon. (can't use it with the 5D3). Holler if you think that may fit your needs.

Dave.
    OMG! I wish I would have seen this 5 minutes sooner! I just pulled the plug on another lens but if it doesn't work out for me I will most definitely be interested!

I have three macro lenses currently (one is a loaner). Here's the order of sharpness I would give them compared to the rest of my kit:

1. EF 180mm f3.5L macro
    2. EF 400mm f5.6L
    3. EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II
    T4. EF 50mm f1.4
    T4. EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro
    5. EF 60mm f2.8 macro
    6. EF 24-70 f2.8L

...granted, this is all subjective, but these are my opinions. The 60mm may be hurt in my scoring b/c I can't use it on my 5d(I). My 50mm compact macro is typically on loan to my friend that is still in grad school, and to tell you the truth, when I need a short macro I just stick a 12mm extension tube on my 50mm f1.4 instead of using my 60mm. Of course, this is about as macro as I tend to get (5d + 50mm f1.4 with 12mm extension tube):

...but when I'm bored I will use the 60mm, and although I don't think it is as sharp as the others, it still produces nice images:

...and of course, while I have the 180mm macro on loan, I have been using it religiously. The details and color are amazing. The shots above both had to be sharpened from Raw files in post processing before conversion to jpegs. Below is a shot with the 180mm that I didn't touch besides adjusting the contrast. It is truly an amazing lens. Maybe I accidentally lost it and cannot return it
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Affordable macro? How about a 105mm f/4, manual focus, for just $125? You can get a $25 Nikon-to-Canon adapter, and the lens is about $100 on keh.com. It's sharp as a tack. Plus, I love the 70's-era aesthetics, which make me feel at home in any discotheque.