Thread: The Spirit of the Forum: A Pledge

The Spirit of the Forum: A Pledge

I'd like to propose something.

All of us who read Bryan's work know what a positive, humble and respectful tone he sets in everything he writes (and, I suspect, in the way he lives his life). With The-Digital-Picture and this new forum, he is our very gracious and generous host, and we are his guests in every sense of the word. What better way to honor Bryan, each other, and the love of photography we all share, than through the way we conduct ourselves on this forum?

With that in mind, I invite you to join me in pledging to keep the Photography Community a special place by ... (feel free to add to the list)

- Keeping my posts positive and respectful

- Coming to the forum to learn or share knowledge, rather than to overpower others with my opinion

- Offering constructive input on the work and ideas of others

- Accepting feedback on my work in the spirit in which it is offered

- "Checking my ego at the door"

- Refusing to pursue personal agendas or squabbles, particularly those already existing in other forums

- Respecting others' time by keeping my posts useful and relevant

- Respecting equipment manufacturers and users of non-Canon equipment, just as I expect them to respect my choice of brand

- Supporting new photographers and people interested in learning

- Referring others to the Community with a request to honor these principles

Re: The Spirit of the Forum: A Pledge

Here here! Easier said than done, but indeed something for which to reach.

That's are all very good advice. I think I've had a pretty good handle on about half of them. The most challenging for me are:
    • The desire to "overpowering others with my opinion"
    • "check my ego at the door"
    • "keeping my posts useful and relevant"
    • "Respecting equipment manufacturers"

I disrespect my own brand, Canon, the most. Familiarity breeds contempt in my case.

I will do my best to continue working on those aspects; you guys keep me accountable.

Good evening all,

This is my first post here, and i was rather stoked to see Bryan has made a Forum on his fanastic site. I've been an active visitor for over a year, and have had the pleasure of talking with Bryan over eMail about several important topics and purchase decisions. The help was cherished, and he was extrememly gracious sharing his knowledge.

So to Jeff, when i read your post, i thought straight away 'here is someone who (pardon the pun) sees the big picture', and you nailed it 100%. I am hoping i can contribute constructively, and look forward to being a part of this new community, and help watch it grow. This will be a valuable tool for many of us, so thank you Bryan!

Much like Mathew's experience I have benefitted from Bryan's wonderful resource here visiting the site nearly daily as I became active in photography (early '08) after a very long inactive period. I am a new digital student who appreciates Jeff's insights and will take them to heart in keeping my humanity in line. In my humble opinion it's a great start for us all. What a great New Year's gift - this forum! Our participation will now bless the whole Community. And thanks Jeff!

Jeff - you are spot on. For some time now, I have avoided some of the major fora simply becuase I grew tired of the flaming senseless arguing. When I want information, I don't want negative and thoughtless comments.

Yes - such a forum is possible. I am a regular on the Texas Photo Forum (at http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/portal.php) and it is a respectful place to be. The owner has put together a solid group of moderators who police it well.

Like many of you, I have enjoyed and used Bryan's advice for some time now - thanx for doing this, Bryan.

Doug Young