Thread: Looking for p&s suggestions

Looking for p&s suggestions

So my brother's trusty old compact camera died. And now he's looking for suggestions for a new one. He definitely doesn't want an SLR and mostly just uses the camera in auto point&shoot mode, so whatever is the best without much user input is probably what he'd need. He also makes quite a few videos of his kids with it, so good video capture is also a definite plus.

I have absolutely no idea of the current market, so any suggestions would be welcome. Probably max budget around 3-500€.

Thanks!
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

The Canon S95 or S100 would be a good choice. They're quite compact and do very well in low light situations. I'm not into video, but I understand they do quite well there, too, with the S100 having an edge over the S95. I've been quite impressed with the low light performance of my S95. Not the quality of say, a 5D MkII, but you wouldn't expect that from a P&S anyway. My previous P&S is a Panasonic FZ18 and the S95 is light years ahead of that for IQ.
    Mark - Flickr

I agree with M_SIX. I have a S100 and I find this little baby terrific. Easy to use, compact, reasonable picture quality, and video quality is great + some great features such as GPS, Raw. Few negatives: Battery life (a spare battery is a must), Pop up Flash, often my finger is in the way of the pop up flash, which is too much on the side of the camera, and manual focus is a bit iffy.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I also love my S100 (the S95 is also excellent, now resides in my wife's purse). Great IQ in a truly pocketable package.

Thank you all, I'll pass along those suggestions.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4